The Magazine Thread

A section for fans of both Western and Eastern forms of graphic novels, manga, magazines, books, and everything in between.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

The Magazine Thread

Postby d.yaro » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:42 pm

I had some spare time after meeting a friend for coffee this afternoon and so I stopped off at a Chapter's store across the street from the coffee shop. I didn't buy any books but I did pick up a couple of magazines. It's odd. I don't make it a habit of buying magazines. I guess I feel guilty about not reading them from cover to cover. And I tend to hang onto back issues to the point where they become a storage issue.

Nonetheless, here's a quick look at what I purchased today:
    Issue 64 of GiantRobot. In the past it wasn't easy finding this magazine in stores up here. The current issue's feature story is on Black Rock Shooter, or more accurately, an interview with its creator Huke. Oldest back issue on my bookshelves is issue 11 from the summer of 1998.

Issue 76 of Geist. First time I've seen and purchased a copy of this magazine. I'm assuming is a quarterly because the publishers are proud to announce the magazine is entering its twentieth year of circulation. That's quite impressive for a magazine focused on Canadian literature.

Pastachan

Re: The Magazine Thread

Postby Pastachan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:36 am

d.yaro wrote: I don't make it a habit of buying magazines.

You will buy a new magazine that is eventually going to be released, though I will not say its name just yet. ;)

I say this because I'm currently doing the mock-up design for an upcoming seasonal publication, which is my new internship task (no Pixar! :( ) and a potential permanent job after graduation. So, like, yeah. All of you people will purchase this, if only to see how godly my skills are. Or not. My skills really aren't that godly; but still very good! I'm just hoping that I don't have to write an article.

By the way, I love this thread so much. I will punch you in the face with some awesome design mags later. Who cares about the content!
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:14 am

Pastachan wrote:By the way, I love this thread so much.
Yeah, I didn't realize until today that we didn't have a magazine thread. Which is sort of odd since magazines are mentioned in the forum description. :roll:

Here's another magazine I've purchased from time to time: The Walrus. Canada is a funny country. Magazines named after indigenous animals. There is a Canadian history magazine which until recently was published under the name of "The Beaver". One guess as to why they changed the name of their publication. Anyways, The Walrus is an interesting entity. It's like Harper's Magazine with a distinctly Canadian twist. I enjoy it much more than Maclean's Magazine which I generally think of as drivel.

Anyways, happy reading!

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Sun May 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Pastachan wrote:I will punch you in the face with some awesome design mags later.

Okay, I've got a good mag for everyone:

IDEA Magazine

The link is for the English portion of the site, but it's also in Japanese if anyone's interested. The magazine itself is primarily in Japanese (with some English), and it's about design of all kinds, primarily in Japan (but also some other places). If that makes any sense. I found some great issues after searching through my college's design library.

I wanted to point out two of 'em that I found: No. 334 and No. 336. These are a two-volume pair about design in the anime/manga industry and are therefore most relevant to you guys. I especially love No. 336 — can anyone guess why? ;)

Anyway, they're pretty hard to find, but I recommend everyone check out at least these two.
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:38 pm

Picked up the December issue of Model Graphix. I still dabble in ship models and this issue does feature them. But the catch is that they're all tied in with the "Kantai Collection" game (aka: KanColle - known as "Fleet Collection" in English). The game is a naval combat game with the ships represented by girls decked out with gun turrets, torpedo tube launchers, flight decks and all other variety of ship motif items. If anything, it's a bit of a break from several issues featuring all sorts of stuff tied in with "Gal-Pan"...the "Girls und Panzer" anime.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

beken

Postby beken » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:58 pm

two years ago I bought a new ring for me wife to commemorate our 25th anniversary. It cost less than 6 figures but more than the cost of a basic small car.

Ever since, I have been receiving Nuvo and Montecristo magazines. They arrive in an envelope and inside, the magazine is wrapped in clear plastic.
The paper stock is heavy and the photography is gorgeous.

I think the subscription is about to expire.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:31 pm

I have a copy of a Japanese design magazine I bought in the spring buried somewhere in my apartment. I think it's a quarterly magazine. The issue I picked up was focused on the work of Eguchi Hisashi.

Recently I came across "SA" magazine. The "SA" stands for "Scale Aviation". It's focused on model aircraft. For some reason it includes a page of Oshiete Galko-chan. Not sure why since the manga has no mention whatsoever of scale model aircraft.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Return to “Manga, Comics, & Literature”