Indie comics

A section for fans of both Western and Eastern forms of graphic novels, manga, magazines, books, and everything in between.
Viga

Indie comics

Postby Viga » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:09 pm

Anyone into them?

I was mostly manga for a long time before I got into alternative and indie comics. It started with Scott Pilgrim for me. That is a series that you should definitely try. I did a review of it sometime last year. It similar to a mix of the shonen story and the shojo romance with a lot of video game references and the hipster lifestyle of being in bands and being broke.

I just picked up this comic called Shutterbug Follies. It's a vibrant interesting murder story. It centers on a film tech finding a famous photographers photos TOO real. She investigates him with some help from a cab driver and a peeping tom photographer.

Although it's not really indie anymore I am way into Tank Girl again. I just got a bunch of that.

and you forum-san?

Bonham

Re: Indie comics

Postby Bonham » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:28 am

I like a lot of material published by Top Shelf and :01, particularly the latter. I have Theo Ellsworth's Capacity read to be read in the next couple days, and then the first two issues of Kevin Huizenga's Ganges series -- I definitely encourage everyone to check out his short story collection, Curses, as well. It's a great introduction.

Scott Pilgrim also rules, yeah, though that's a given (unless you want to be an obnoxious iconoclast).

Return to “Manga, Comics, & Literature”