George R.R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire Series

A section for fans of both Western and Eastern forms of graphic novels, manga, magazines, books, and everything in between.
Littlewolf

George R.R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire Series

Postby Littlewolf » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:55 pm

... I'm in the book section, right? Cause I'm not seeing much outside of a what are you reading thread, and that's depressing me!

Okay, so I'm posting the first series in hopes of getting into a discussion. Hopefully I'm not the only one who has been exposed to this series, but if not, here's my review-

George R.R. Martin has developed a fantasy world of a bloody political battle for the throne with enough of the supernatural and dragons to sate any fantasy lover's thirst.

The main focus for the books is the story of the Stark family, a noble family ruling over the Northern territory of Westeros. One day the family comes across a dying Dire Wolf mother with a wolf cub for each child, and their fate seems tied to the wolf pups. Soon the children with their respected dire wolf pups are separated from each other, and with the Death of the king, the country is thrown into chaos as various characters start moving in for the crown, and the country falls into civil war.

I can't even begin to go into the complex plot this series has, but I can tell you what really drives the series is the characters. There's a huge cast with over 15 people whose stories are being told, all inter-twined with each other, and Martin is brilliant with their psychology and character development. You'll start out loving and hating two different people, and by the 4th book your opinions on the two might be totally reverse. This series has enough blood, sex, and backstabbing courtly intrigue to sate the thirst of anyone who has ever liked a fantasy book.

But really, I can't put into words correctly how fantastic this book series is. It's in my opinion one of the best fantasy series in the last decade (Robin Hobb's excluded) and I shove the books at anyone I can find who shows the slightest spark of interest.

So if you haven't read any of them yet, and you love fantasy, check it out. The first book is called a Game of Thrones, and HBO currently is working with BBC to develop a tv series pilot to consider licensing all the books for a series.

So, has anyone else read them, and if so, do you want to discuss A Dance with Dragons, the next book in the series scheduled to come out this fall?
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Sentire

Re: George R.R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire Series

Postby Sentire » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:34 am

Sorry... I haven't read it yet. :( It does sound quite interesting though. I have always been a fantasy/sci-fi fan. I'll be sure to add it to my "want to read list". btw littlewolf, if you join Shelfari, you'll be able to join discussion groups and give recommendations, etc. I still haven't signed-up for paperbackswap yet. Someday though!

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:58 pm

I could post this in tv, but I didn't want to make a new thread, and it'll be a long while til we get any more news on the tv series, but anyway, to those who are fans of the books and didn't know, HBO comissioned a pilot based off the books. Pilot is done, and HBO liked it so much they've comissioned a whole season, something we won't see until 2011.

However, that doesn't mean we don't get to see the cast, which all together I'm ecsatic about, with one or two castings I'd disagree with. Here's the pictures and names of the cast so far:

1 – Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell

2 – Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister aka Tyrion the Imp

3 – Jennifer Ehle as Catelyn Stark, Lady of Winterfell

4 – Tamzin Merchant as Daenerys Targaryen, aks Daenerys Stormborn

5 – Lena Headey as Cersei Baratheon, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms

6 – Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jaime Lannister, Kingslayer

7 – Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon, King of the Seven Kingdoms

8 – Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Bastard of Winterfell

9 – Richard Madden as Robb Stark, Heir to Winterfell

10 – Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark

11 – Maisie Williams as Arya Stark

12 – Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark

13 – Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon, Prince of the Seven Kingdoms

14 – Ron Donachie as Ser Rodrik Cassel, Master of Arms at Winterfell

15 – Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont, Exiled Lord of Bear Island

16 – Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy, Heir to the Iron Islands

17 – Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen, The Beggar King

18 – Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo, Dothraki Warrior

19 – Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane aka The Hound

20 – Joseph Mawle as Benjen Stark

21 – Ian McNeice as Illyrio Mopatis

22 – Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin

23 – Jamie Campbell Bower as Ser Waymar Royce

24 – Richard Ridings as Gared

25 – Bronson Webb as Will

26 – Esmé Bianco as Ros the red-headed whore

In general: FANTASTIC. I'm especially excited about Sean Bean, Peter Dinklage, Jennifer Ehle (she'll always be Lizzy for me from Pride and Predjudice w/ colin firth - BBC).

I've seen Harry Lloyd act on BBC's Robin Hood, and wonder if he can pull off the role, especially since he seems way older (course they have to up both the siblings ages for tv), and then Joffrey I just don't like. Still, so far it's an awesome cast in my opinion.

Jason Momoa I think will make a hot Khal Drogo, and he's well on his way for some stardom as also being casted recently as Conan for the movie revamp, meaning he'll probably have an even more awesome body for girls to drool over.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:28 pm

I really love this series! It seems like Dance of Dragons was taking forever to release. I purposely avoided reading A Feast for Crows right away (even thought I bought it at release), because I wanted to read the two books together, consecutively.

Thanks for sharing the news about the series, it sounds like they've put a lot into it, I can't wait!

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:21 pm

Never heard of it but I am definitely interested. Gotta turn in some cookbooks to the library soon anyways so I'll be sure to check this out when I go. As for the HBO series I can hardly wait! They're series are almost always just superb. Plus Sean Bean is simply awesome (Sentire will start swooning now lol) and I loved Jason Momoa from Stargate Atlantis. he was by far my favorite character and I would love to see him in something else. Plus I also really like Mark Addy and Iain Glen so the cast list certainly has my attention.

Return to “Manga, Comics, & Literature”