What manga or comics are you reading?

A section for fans of both Western and Eastern forms of graphic novels, manga, magazines, books, and everything in between.
Pastachan

Re: What manga or comics are you reading?

Postby Pastachan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:25 pm

chrisb wrote:Well I'm glad someone here is into obscure and touching manga!

HK's known for that! :P
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

Bonham

Postby Bonham » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:11 pm

chrisb wrote:Well I'm glad someone here is into obscure and touching manga!

You'd do well by reading this thread.

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:52 pm

Started to read Please Save My Earth the other day. There are a lot of older shoujo manga that I've been wanting to read for a long time, but that I have been having a hard time finding volumes of.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:25 pm

ningensei wrote:Started to read Please Save My Earth the other day. There are a lot of older shoujo manga that I've been wanting to read for a long time, but that I have been having a hard time finding volumes of.

Oooh, I really enjoyed this series. I personally had trouble finding volumes 1 and 13 for my collection, but I've found them all as scans anyway.

kyokun703

Postby kyokun703 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:23 am

Caught up with the Scott Pilgrim graphic novel. This was silly and fun. I wouldn't say it was OMG AWESOME, but it had its moments, and I'm looking forward to the movie coming out next year with Michael Cera and Jason Schwartzman.

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:49 pm

classicalzawa wrote:Oooh, I really enjoyed this series. I personally had trouble finding volumes 1 and 13 for my collection, but I've found them all as scans anyway.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I'm on volume 6 right now, out of the 12 volume bunkoban re-releases. I found them as scans, but I am planning to buy them all slowly as I find them. I hate reading manga on a computer screen, but I do it occaisionally for a series I can't wait to read or have a hard time finding.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:18 pm

I really wish Viz would big edition Please Save My Earth instead of things I don't care about.

I've found a few more things to read online too, but alas, I hate reading online because I just prefer to have it there in print, but, not always possible.
Global Garden-because it's also by Saki Hiwatari (PSME) and the whole thing has been scanlated
Basara-because people won't shut up about it. I actually got a copy of vol 8 for 50 cents from a library in shockingly good condition.
Ludwig Kakumei-because I love twisted fairy tales.
Liar Game- whenever it comes out, drop everything else and read the new chapter. It's already in my top 5 series, for being rather popular online, I'm shocked it hasn't been licensed.

AndrePaploo

Postby AndrePaploo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:30 am

Basara is insanely awesome- I got about 1/2 of my volumes this year, so it's still findable, if you special order. I'd been collecting it slowly since 2004, then got the rest of the volumes I didn't have, and devoured them. Fantastic series. VIZ also did Chicago [which is okay] and a 1-shot GN [forgetting the name, but it had an X-men style team of teen mutants operating out of a pizza place... it ran in Animerica Extra, which is where I read it] that was realllly good by Yumi Tamara

I also got lots of PSME recently.... have the last volumes, but am missing a chunk from the middle [teens] . Should still be able to get the overall story though. It's fantastically trippy and touching. It's harder to find, as I think more volumes are OOP, so it's best to get while the getting's good. Their edition of Here is Greenwood is also pretty good [read vol.1+2 at the library, then stumbled across and promptly bough vol.4-9 at the comic shop]

VIZ's older pre-SB shojo line had a lot of good titles [and Red River is still ongoing], it seems with SB they're going for a lot of shorter titles. I'm glad CMX has tackled some of Hiwatari's other works- I hope they license Global Garden and the currently running PSME sequel.

Saki

Postby Saki » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Mozart wa Komoriuta wo Utawanai (Mozart Doesn't Sing Lullabies)

History-based manga is a tricky thing to do. But seeing Ludwig van Beethoven acting like a musical Sherlock Holmes, along with other comporsers, like Czerny (the hot womanizer) and Schubert (the 12-year-old kid that knows more than what he seems), trying to discover the mystery of Mozart's death thanks to a lullaby written by another man, is pretty enthralling in spite of the heckload of inconsistent things.

Beethoven's hilarious with his reactions. Czerny is pretty smart in some things, but my favorite character is Mushroom-chan, I mean, Schubert-chan. He's pretty smart and adorable.
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

braves

Postby braves » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:26 pm

I'm actually reading Yu-Gi-Oh! right now. It's obvious where Takahashi gets some of his inspiration from (Jojo ftw!), but this is actually not that bad. It hasn't transformed itself into an advertisement for the TCG yet and the character designs are not appealing, but it's surpassed my rather low expectations. Have to admit that I'm reading it because of YGO! The Abridged Series, though. XD

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Seeing how I found 3 volumes of Eternal Sabbath, I've started re-reading that. I anticipate getting a sizable amount of xmas/bday money (and I asked a friend for one of the volumes), so I should hopefully be able to get the last 4. I'll probably be placing a huge order at TRSI (probably with the Baccano! boxset and the rest of Battle Royale + Eternal Sabbath).
Speaking of Battle Royale, I'll start reading that again once I get it for xmas/bday. Easily one of the most depressing and violent things I've ever read, it's so epic!

I'm also done re-reading all the stuff I brought to my dorm to read, so I'll be picking lots of new things off the shelves at home to bring back to the dorm for winter session.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:22 am

I'm back into the swing of reading scanlations now. Not sure what I've mentioned reading before but...

Skip Beat - I am beyond ashamed that I am addicted to this. For the longest time I refused based off the premise, that sort of shoujo just isn't my thing but... one bored day I started and haven't been able to stop since. I shame myself, but I eagerly await the monthly update now when a chapter is released. Why the hell is it only one chapter a month?! I need my Japanese entertainment industry soap opera more than once a month.

KAICHOU WA MAID-SAMA! - Another shameful manga, mainly because it has maid stuff. I hate maid stuff, yet somehow I'm reading this. I think I'm up de-nile river here as to what my inner fangirl wants to read. Looking forward to the anime this spring which I won't admit to anyone that I'll be watching. But I do so like the characters, and I suppose it is kind of sweet. The problem is the maids...

Alice in Heartland/Heat no Kuni no Alice - Aka, the manga based off that otome game. I'm an alice freak, and liked the manga so much I downloaded that otome game. Unfortunately my "translator" program doesn't like the game so much, so I haven't quite been able to play the game properly. But I will, someday. Pre-ordered it already from Tokyopop.

Vinland Saga - OMFG! VIKINGS!! Why did I not discover this manga before? It's epic, almost like the Berserk/Claymore epic. Another manga I bemoan the monthly release date to. As soon as someone announced a release date for it here, I'm pre-ordering.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:28 am

In poor fashion I've been "delaying" my Christmas card duties, and instead have started to read "Ghost Talker's Daydream". There is something about Saiki Misaki that I find enticing. In some ways she's childish, almost naive, but in other ways quite mature for her age. I'm only on the first volume as of now but I look forward to continuing.

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:04 pm

I've been reading a lot of books, so I haven't read much manga lately. Just trying to catch up on current releases (both online, and actual manga volume releases) on series I'm reading right now. I'm a few volumes behind on buying FMA, and I also need to get the newest Claymore as well. But I caught up with online scans of One Piece, and trying to decide what series I am going to start reading next. Probably another older shojou title, since I recently finished Please Save My Earth, and really loved it a lot.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:37 am

Rereading After School Nightmare, wow I've never actually shed a tear at a manga but one volume made me misty eyed, maybe it's because of the mood I'm in, maybe it's because I'm listening to really fitting music :lol:

Started reading Boys Next Door, it's probably the most hardcore shoujo I've read. Guy born after his mom is raped by a carnie. He's an elementary school teacher and kills male prostitutes at night but falls in love with one 14 year old who's pimped out by his older brother. It's surprisingly touching, yet tragic and disturbing.

Read a very short one shot called DIE another shoujo about narcissism. It was incredibly effecting and hardcore. A brother receives a letter from his sister who says she is going to kill herself, issue is the sister is chained up in the brother's basement, but that's not the twist, and the twist at the end is extremely intense and pretty frightening. Very poetic language too.

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:05 am

I finished reading the Oldboy manga, and though it was enjoyable, I have to say that I vastly prefer the Korean movie adaptation by Chan-wook Park. Maybe it's because I saw the movie first when it first came out before I knew about the manga, or some subconscious Korean bias I have, but after I finished reading, I didn't like it as much as the movie. I felt that the movie version definitely had more of an emotional impact and visceral reaction for me.

If there is anyone else who has read the whole series and watched the Korean movie adaptation as well, I'd like to know their thoughts.

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:39 pm

So I read the very first chapter of Fairy Tail last night, and it was really hard for me to get over the fact that it is almost exactly like One Piece. I had heard some things about it, and that it was a pretty decent shounen series. I must admit that I am a die hard One Piece fan and read the manga religiously, so maybe I'm just a little bit biased against it. I'm not trying to be unfair, but it was just too similar that I stopped reading after the first chapter. I've seen some of the artwork for Rave Master (but haven't read it), and I didn't really get the same feeling of copying One Piece as I got from Fairy Tail.

Has anyone else read this? Should I give it more of a chance? I was thinking that maybe if I read further into the series there would be more opportunities for it to show it's own uniqueness. But if I would be wasting my time, please tell me.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:26 am

ningensei wrote:Has anyone else read this? Should I give it more of a chance? I was thinking that maybe if I read further into the series there would be more opportunities for it to show it's own uniqueness. But if I would be wasting my time, please tell me.

I gave Fairy Tale a try and read around 5 volumes via online scans after hearing all the hype. I liked One Piece to a degree, wouldn't call myself a fan, but it did seem like a giant knock off most of with what I read with Fairy Tale, just with crapier characters, and none of the charm. Haven't thought of Fairy Tale since, nor have I got the urge to read anymore after I stopped after the 5 volumes. Kinda disappointed in myself with wasting my time, but then again I've wasted it on worse.

I REALLY need to look up Mozart Doesn't Sing Lullabies now, Saki. That sounds like just my sort of thing. *runs off in search of scans*
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Saki

Postby Saki » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:43 pm

Mangafox.com.
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:10 pm

Hm, thanks for your insight littlewolf, I think I'll continue reading Fairy Tail for a while and see if it hooks me or not within a few volumes. If not, then I'll probably just drop the series.

I blew threw the two latest Rurouni Kenshin ominubus volumes last night, which means I'm caught up to volume 24 of the series. The next release is going to be the last one, and they are making it a 4 in 1 this time, so that it can finish without the last volume being left out. Too bad it isn't coming out until March.

Return to “Manga, Comics, & Literature”