What manga or comics are you reading?

A section for fans of both Western and Eastern forms of graphic novels, manga, magazines, books, and everything in between.
Psycho 101
Promoter

Re: What manga or comics are you reading?

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:02 pm

Just some Black Lagoon for me right now. Got too many books from the library out right now so I gotta focus on those. Volume 9 just came out so I get to see the conclusion of Roberta going ape shit crazy. There is this one scene where the younger maid under Roberta tries to talk to her and Roberta, covered in blood and with this dazed look, mentions getting tea ready for the master. Then goes right back to growling like a fox and ripping people's heads off. She wins the award for being coocoo for Coco Puffs.

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:10 pm

I finished Pluto, and I really enjoyed it. I almost almost shed a tear, but not quite.

Truered

Postby Truered » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:38 pm

Whilst in Canterbury for a few nights I borrowed all of the Scott Pilgrim volumes (I wasn't aware of what they were about too much before this week) and read them all across two nights/mornings. At first I wasn't too impressed, the art was so so and the first battle seemed rushed, but since then I've come to realize it was more about the characters then the battles (too much shonen manga syndrome) and a day after finishing it I've come to appreciate it.

Also Wallace was awesome.
Image Image Image

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:17 am

Man have I got a laundry list this time! After all, my Otakon spending went a bit overboard to say the least.

Earliest one I've read was probably this one, Olimpos, which I rather wish might get licensed. It seemed to skip around a bit, but it was quite interesting. The sun god Apollo gets bored and decides to kidnap a Trojan prince and put him in Zeus' garden on the basis that he is bored. In this series, the gods are unable to speak a lie so when he tells the prince that he cannot escape the garden it therefore must be true. So we see the prince come to terms with his imprisonment and we see why Apollo is so damn bored. I think it could've used more volumes but for what it is, it was interesting. Of course, this is the type of artwork that took me a while to realize all the characters weren't chicks, but it was very nice artwork worth noting.

I got to finish up Mushi-shi, at least what wasn't animated. In basic: if you liked the anime and wanted more, go for it. Chapter 1 of volume 6 was animated and man, comparison just showed the anime was way cooler. I didn't like it as much as the anime for once because the music, pacing, and visuals really add something to it but for being more Mushi-shi I say "yay!"

Thanks to ebay I finally got to finish Club 9!!! Volumes 1-3 were put into manga format but 4 and 5 were only ever printed in Super Manga Blast so I'm really glad I got to finish it. It'd been a while since I'd last read volumes 3 but I feel like I instantly remembered why I loved it so. Haruo is such a doll, she's a great main. She's a bit ditzy but not in an annoying way oddly enough and she's a bit naive but not to the point where it screws her over, she's one of my favorite female leads ever. I was really quite sad when it ended and the ending was a bit rushed but my two cents, I would've picked Lewis :3

Yeah, so, it involves Keiko Takemiya of To Terra fame, but overall, Andromeda Stories did disappoint me, it was just way too rushed in its execution and it was just way too cliche ridden and not always in a good way. I think it wanted to be a long epic but had to settle for being 3 volumes for whatever reason. So it was a decent diversion, but nothing to get excited about.

Hmm, what else...oh yeah, Saikano. So, I was expecting it to be far more depressing and for me it just wasn't, but overall, I feel this one was overhyped. Due to being amazing, I did manage to get volumes 4 and 7 for less than $10 each so yeah, I did get to finish it. But a lot of the time, I wasn't quite sure why the series headed in the direction it did, especially towards the end I was like "Wtf?" As a romance, it was interesting, but I almost felt like Shuji forced himself to fall for Chise in some ways. I suppose it's as good a way to fall in love as ever, but I was a bit let down by that aspect. However, I rather liked the way the dialogue was set within the pages, I've never seen anything quite like it and I really enjoyed that, it made it interesting to read and really added to the story. I don't think it's worth going out of your way to buy (especially the outrageous prices volumes 4 and 7 can go for), but if you can bum it off a friend for a while, go for it.

I've been reading too much shojo lately, sheesh! So I got this on the basis that it had some reincarnation stuff and I've seen a lot of series with reincarnation and they're almost always awesome. So how did Oyayubihime Infinity hold up? Pretty well actually, I'll admit it started off a bit mediocre at first, but it grew on me and there's nothing wrong with that. Kanoko was a good female main for a shojo, strong willed with an "f-you and your crazy talk!" attitude that I liked about her. She wasn't a tomboy either, comfortable with being a chick whereas a lot of the time those types seem to be more tomboyish. Tusbame was....an interesting male lead if only because I couldn't tell if he was straight. Seriously, he looks more girly than the main and paints all the girls' fingernails (although he did it to try and find the girl with the butterfly birthmark on the thumb so I guess it's justified). Oh yeah and at one point he did date a dude who had the same mark so maybe he's just bi, although he seems far too bi to ever fall for a girl or get a girl to fall for him, but lo and behold! But yeah, it grew on me as their past lives thing got more complicated and not everything was as it seems. I also appreciated the ending, which, while predictable, didn't give the middle finger to its audience on the romance aspect either (by like, having her fall for her rapist or whatever). So yeah, one of the better shojo I've enjoyed.

Speaking of reincarnation, Tower of the Future had a lot of that too, although maybe that comes from being by the same author as Please Save My Earth. Ok, so it didn't quite compare to PSME, but yeah, it was good, glad I bought it. I do rather wish that the main's tendency to want to write RPG stories had been more than just a character quirk because that's really how it presented itself (unlike, say baking in Kekkaishi, which was clearly a character quirk and was comfortable just being one and didn't cock-tease you into thinking it was anything more). But in some ways, his life kinda becomes like an RPG in which a lot of people are reincarnated with a specific goal in mind and two warring sides are constantly reincarnated. Interesting take on reincarnated, way different then her previous work so I'm glad she didn't just rip herself off totally (after all, what would be the point of remaking the same series? Glad she noticed) and when I went "this half-sister thing better go somewhere", I'm glad that it did when a lot of little things in earlier volumes connected later on. Oh, but the unrelated one-shot at the end of volume 11 kinda sucked, I'll just pretend it wasn't there, CMX seemed to have a habit of adding one-shots by the same author at the end of volumes (it made Land of the Blindfolded an entire volume longer than need be, or maybe it's just the series they licensed that had already did it, who knows). I enjoyed it, but I'd want to re-read it to feel I got the full story.

I'm about halfway through Kurogane, it's a bit of a slow read and I don't normally seem to get into samurai stuff, but I have been enjoying this one. The artwork doesn't lend too well to action scenes a lot of the time, maybe it's just the author, but I have been enjoying the rest of story. It reminds me a lot of Dororo in that we have a samurai with missing body parts, but it's like the reverse since Jintetsu starts off whole then dies in the first 10 pages and is bought back to life as a cyborg essentially. But with each chapter, we seemed to get more of Jintetsu's past and he's really a rather interesting samurai drifter, he has a far more trouble past then at first glance and with each new chapter I'm growing to like him more since we're finding out he's flawed but not flat out good nor evil and that to me makes him interesting. I can't wait to finish this one!

Yep, I'm still going, To Terra, I liked the anime and I've gotta say, the manga is significantly different in many areas. Sure, overall story is almost the same, but there's a lot of little things about the characters that makes me go "oho!" so it's like enjoying the anime all over again but with a fresh outlook since some character traits are just so different. Fans of the anime should give the manga look through too. Andromeda Stories disappointed me, but this does not. And for what the anime put in as filler it put in really well.

I think I can now make a manga scientifically designed to be popular after reading Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga. It's both informative and hilarious, often because of "Omg! That's so true! How could I miss that? Oho man....good point, hilarious but true". I'm really upset only volume 1 was published in English, although it is self-contained enough to stand on its own. I normally am annoyed by too much wordiness, but not here for once, totally worth it. So basically, all I have to know how to do is draw close up shots of breasts and if I'm making a seinen erocom, just make everyone have sex. If I want to make a salaryman manga, just have him meet the boss. If I want to do a shojo, ditzy girl runs out of her house with a piece of toast and she's late for school, obviously bumping into the boy on the way who comes off as an initial jerk and is whatever is cool at the time (in today's standards, I guess it'd be vampires). If I want to draw a 4 panel, I need to make sure it's not funny in the least, lest it get overboard and be unrelatable (so I guess it's just like most American sunday strips). And omg, Hikaru no Go is totally how they described the mahjong manga, I have no idea what's going on game wise, but look at those expression and awesome move determinations! So yeah, I think I can now start to take over the world!

Truered

Postby Truered » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:33 am

classicalzawa wrote:

I scrolled past that too quickly and thought it was a mythbusters manga :lol:

On second inspection I have no idea how other then the beret :sweat
Image Image Image

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Outside of whatever manga series I'm following weekly, I continued with another volume or 2 of Y: The Last Man (this series is taking me a while to collect, just got vol 5) and am continuing to love every page of it. I hear someone in Holly Wood is trying to get a film started, but honestly I rather see it made into a tv series. It'd rock.

Other than that, I also started up on Marvel's Runaways, where a bunch of kids find out their parents are super villains, and rebel against them. Cute, fun, and looking to buy some more volumes now.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:09 pm

I borrowed from a friend of mine the "Walking Dead - A Continuing Story of Survival Horror" series created by Robert Kirkman. I have only finished Book 1 thus far. You can't beat the artwork. The details are incredible... I'm definitely taking my sweet time with this one... soaking in every horrid detail - lol. My friend and I were talking about the upcoming series - I'm so stoked! This may sound weird, but I love the fact that there will be another series out there that strongly depends on creative make-up artistry and costuming. The last tv series that I really was into that used it to the degree I like, was probably "Farscape". The clip "Bicycle Girl" at this site, http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/, shows the artistry involved.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:02 pm

I'm really looking forward to the Walking Dead series as well. It's just about the only other zombie oriented comic I can stand, and I love zombies. The other being the Marvel Zombies series, but after 5-6 volumes it's getting kind of old, but then they throw in another Marvel character you haven't seen in the zombie world before and it's awesome again. I can't suggest that book enough to people. It's really gorey, but the artwork is amazing. (the switch out artist though)

Seriously, as far as what if situations go when you think about a zombie apocalypse, you do NOT want one where superheroes can get infected.

Truered

Postby Truered » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:44 pm

I've been working my way through the manga "High school girls" this week (it had an anime- Girl's high I think...I have the DVDs somewhere, haven't watched it yet). I've had the series for a while, started it a year ago roughly, restarted it a few days ago. It's quite amusing and fun to read :D
Image Image Image

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:39 am

Finished Blue Drop recently. Five (or was it six) relatively short stories bound together by a recurring character and a single setting. There isn't much of a connection with the anime series of the same title as the stories in the manga take place a millennium after the events in show. All in all a quick and easy read.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:40 am

Off*Beat

Attractive art, mixes anime style and American style very well. Refreshing writing. Pretty realistic portrayal of an oddball loner. The only real American manga I enjoy.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:40 am

Arisa.

Starts off very innocent, cute and fluffy.

Then we get this.

And shit hits the fan and this fluffy shoujo turns into a hardcore awesome addictive thriller.

braves

Postby braves » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:37 pm

I read Osamu Tezuka's Apollo's Song. First Tezuka manga I've ever read. Starts off strong and meanders towards the end. The whole concept that Tezuka wrote this comic for young boys is a bit uncomfortable in my opinion, even if the political environment and the student unrest at the time were very much a factor in how this turned out. Of course, listening about how stuff like Violence Jack was also aimed at boys puts things into perspective as to what was acceptable back then.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:13 am

Oho, Apollo's Song eh? That's probably my least favorite Tezuka manga currently out in America to be honest, so don't let that color your opinion of him until you've read some Black Jack, MW, Ode to Kirihito, and Phoenix. Maybe a bit of Astro Boy or Adolf (if you can find it) too. I think most any of those title are stronger than Apollo's Song if you ask me personally, especially Ode to Kirihito, go read that one right now!

braves

Postby braves » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:04 am

^I see that my local library does have a copy of Ode to Kirihito, so I'll read that next. Strangely enough, they also have the first volume of Adolf, which I believe is the hardest one to find at a reasonable price, but only that first volume.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:19 am

Now that I've finished Cross Game book one (covering volumes 1-3) I can't wait for book 2! Even though I've watched the anime (and am looking forward to the DVDs) I'm really enjoying reading the story over again. There's a big change in the presentation between the anime and manga. Where the anime pretty much sticks to the story and stays pretty focused on it, the manga partially like a gag manga. It covers the same content, but the characters will often randomly break the fourth wall, pitch other manga, and generally do quirky stuff not found in the anime. Adachi also enjoys inserting himself and his co workers into the pages, there's one whole page devoted to him hiding from his editor. It certainly makes for different, but just as enjoyable variations on the story. And if you've seen the first episode then be assured that Adachi knows when to stop the jokes.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:37 am

Finished reading Ono Natsume's Not Simple. True to its title I found it a bit tricky to suss out. There were points in the book where I didn't have a good handle on where in time the narrative was. Probably didn't help that I was reading the Japanese edition and I read it while sipping drinks at my favourite lounge bar. Nonetheless I did like the story and the artwork. The artwork is interesting as it is very clean and sparse. It's an unusual book and a welcome change of pace from mange with dense and hyper detailed artwork.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:27 pm

After watching MTV's The Maxx I decided to read Sam Kieth's following comic 4 Women. Ended up being very different from the action/psychological drama that The Maxx was. The book starts with a woman named Donna talking to a psychiatrist about her roadtrip with three friends. When their car stalls in the middle of nowhere two men show up in a large 4x4 and begin to harass them. What starts as annoying turns into something vile and ugly. The oldest member of the group gets out of the car to save her friends and starts to fight back. When she returns to the car the driver won't unlock the door.

The series is about Donna coming to terms with what really happened on the trip and why she is so angry.

I've just read it but it is definitely in my top 5 comics. It's horrifying and chilling, I've never felt my heartbeat so quickly while reading a comic book. The characters are strong/lovable and the aftermath of the assault is haunting. The ending is just wow. I really hope you fans of alternative comics will give this a try.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:18 am

After finishing with collecting Y the Last Man finally (FRAKKING FANTASTIC), I found myself eager for another Western comic to start collecting. Curiosity with the current project one of my favorite illustrators (Yuko Shimizu) got the best of me, so I gave it a try.

Unwritten presented by Vertigo

Reading it has resulted in the following: ADDICTED

I don't even know to explain it while doing it justice, but just believe me when I say if you consider yourself a bookworm, or a serious fan of the classics, this is the comic for you.

The setting is basically this:

Tom Taylor makes a respectable celebrity living as the presumed former model for the boy hero of his father Wilson’s 13 fantasy novels, which enjoy a Harry Potterish fandom. He’d as soon not be so identified with the character, though, especially when fans insist he must still possess his fictional doppelgänger’s magic. When it’s announced that he isn’t Wilson Taylor’s biological child, after all, any relief he might get is complicated by having to dodge lynch mobs of former worshipers. Then after a side trip to the Villa Diodati in Switzerland (where Mary Shelley dreamed up Frankenstein - his father bought it) things get very interesting. It appears things from books are coming to life, and that the line between fiction and reality is beginning to blur, and that possibly not being his father's biological son are the least of his worries.

I LOVE THIS SERIES - so much I'm there in the comic book store every 2nd Wednesday of the month for the latest chapter. Caught up with it all over the course of a weekend and oh so looking forward to future chapters. And with each additional cover I bemoan the fact that Yuko Shimizu (she does each and every cover) does not release prints or posters of her work.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:16 am

Argh! I ran into this at the comic book shop the other day. Cover looked sweet I but passed it up. That premise sounds way to cool, I need to go back there and buy the first volume!

Return to “Manga, Comics, & Literature”