What manga or comics are you reading?

A section for fans of both Western and Eastern forms of graphic novels, manga, magazines, books, and everything in between.
bashfulglowfly

Re: What manga or comics are you reading?

Postby bashfulglowfly » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:12 am

Saki wrote:Mangafox.com.

And a BIG "Thank you" from me too! They have Sailor V! :D

Dorcas_Aurelia

Postby Dorcas_Aurelia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:29 am

ningensei wrote:Hm, thanks for your insight littlewolf, I think I'll continue reading Fairy Tail for a while and see if it hooks me or not within a few volumes. If not, then I'll probably just drop the series.

The fight scenes are pretty awesome, but the plot, that's where it gets kind of weak. Also, Natsu's motion sickness is painfully bad humor, but kind of interesting as a combat handicap. Overall I'd say it's slightly better than average.
My dream is to hold a baby tiger, getting scared about it, and running away in fear.
It's a dream of failure. -Miyako

Saki

Postby Saki » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:06 am

bashfulglowfly wrote:
Saki wrote:Mangafox.com.

And a BIG "Thank you" from me too! They have Sailor V! :D

Glad to be of help :3.
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

braves

Postby braves » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:21 pm

I've been reading Jojo's Bizarre Adventure as of late (2/3 through vol. 11) and I'm enjoying every panel of it. Araki never disappoints. I was laughing so hard during the confrontation with D' Arby.

That aside, I was very surprised when I looked inside my recently arrived copy of vol. 5 and noticed that it was part of the second printing that Viz did for it back in Jan '09. I was under the impression that Jojo didn't sell well over here and that Viz just wanted to get finish this arc and forget about it. I'm not sure that if by deciding to do a second printing this means that it's doing better that I thought, but at least it gives me some hope for more of the series to be released over here.

Not a Jellyfish

Postby Not a Jellyfish » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:27 pm

I've finally been catching up on everything that's been posted on IKKI. My favorite so far is definitely Saturn Apartments. It not only has absolutely gorgeous artwork, but the story is simple and touching. I demand it to be printed!

I also just finished reading All My Darling Daughters today, which was also quite lovely. Excellent for fans of Josei with Yoshinaga's wonderful linework. Also finally reading Ooku and trying to get over the odd translation. :/

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:24 am

Due to lack of funds my manga buying has been limited. However I've been continuing to read the Bamboo Blade manga as they come out. Rather enjoying the antics of the kendo club. I've also gone back and started re-reading my Boys Be manga. I'm rather enjoying them and actually probably more now than when I read the initially a while ago. The simple little slice of life stories of boys and girls going through high school and college and the adventures of dating and asking someone out is refreshing. They're all simple and easy going stories and most are very easy to relate with as well. Want to when I get some cash finally buy and start reading Battle Angel Alita Last order though. That and continue my purchases of Sundome.

Jedi General

Postby Jedi General » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:57 am

Read the latest volume of Kekkaishi (20) the other day. This series really needs some more love in the States, since it is one of my favorite shonen titles on the market right now. Hopefully the recent acquisition of the anime by Viz will help things. A second season of the anime would be nice too.

Jedi General

Postby Jedi General » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 am

I caved and read all the way up to the latest chapter (104) of Fullmetal Alchemist. HOLY ... FREAKIN' ... CRAP!! :shock:

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:00 am

Where oh where are you scanlated Naruto chapter 485?! This chapter is perhaps the most anticipated of the series yet for me. The last week has gone by so slow. :( I'm ready to squeal, and gasp, and choke, and bite my nails. Who knows though, it might just turn out to be a major let down.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Jedi General

Postby Jedi General » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:26 pm

The last manga I read (besides chapter 105 of Fullmetal Alchemist) is Keiko Nishi's Love Song. It's a very nice collection of four shojo short stories -- I highly recommend it. My favorite story of the bunch is the second one, "Jewels Of The Seaside."

After greatly enjoying Love Song, I immediately purchased a used copy of Four Shojo Stories from the Amazon Marketplace. I'm certain that I overpaid for it, but I don't really care as it is very hard to find anyway. I haven't gotten around to read it yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to the 2 stories by Keiko Nishi, not to mention this will be my introduction to Moto Hagio as well.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:04 am

WOW. Very hard hitting and emotionally intense. One of the most depressing manga I've read. It was beautiful but it's a total downer.

Next manga:

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm reading LIFE. How utterly depressing.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:37 am

^ It stops being depressing and gets downright epic since the main character learns to fight back. Sadly Tokyopop lost it and the manga will never see an ending in English. Check out the TV drama it's really good too!

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:26 am

I've seen a few episodes of the drama, but I need to get around to finishing it.

braves

Postby braves » Sun May 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Read One Piece vol. 22 today. I realized that it's almost been a full year since I actually read a chapter of One Piece. My library has gotten all of the volumes Viz has been releasing over the past few months, so I'm a happy camper. It's nice being reminded why I like this series as much as I do. Oda's actually funny, he's extremely talented as an artist and the storytelling is good and fun enough to hide all of the nasty habits that come with being under WSJ (one being that characters never die--ever. Therefore defusing some of the tension in the situation that's being presented. I can't say that other shonen series handle this a lot better). Though I've been spoiled on a later arc where somebody stays dead, but I doubt that it'll have the same impact now that I know how it'll go.

I hate fans of long-running series who lose their minds over the latest chapter, though I'm guilty of this when it comes to other things.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Wed May 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Did I mention I finally got to finish Kodocha on any given message board? Or did I only froth at the mouth about it over aim....the latter sounds more correct.
Yeah, so, got the rest of it, none of them have the stupid giant red Tokyopop logo on it either which is super, and while I don't normally tend to like manga, Kodocha won my heart over. For anyone who has seen the anime, the manga is pretty much all drama, comedy is minimal at best and used sparingly. And that bat thing? Doesn't exist. Characters are great and I loved them all as I'm sure you can hazard a guess from what has been my Kodocha avvy on ANN for a while. However, and this isn't the first shojo to do this, but the last volume kinda left me wanting. Actually, let me make a quick list of shojo who's last volume did not leave me going a bit "oh....that's it?": Banana Fish.....*snaps fingers in a "trying to think" way*...yeah, just Banana Fish, all the other shojo I have read made me go "darn, it was so good up until the sudden ending. Or in some cases the complete ass pull endings that made me go "....whaaaaat? where did that logic come from?". So, Kodocha just feel into a "that was a bit rushed" feeling, it wasn't bad, but it just wasn't as good as the rest of it. But volumes 1-9 were freakin' sweet! It never got too meldodramatic for me and it was sweet and innocent while still dealing some tough situations on the cast romantically. And thank god this wasn't a zany comedy, the manga was the perfect drama+romance+smidgen of occasional comedy and based on the first two episodes of the anime, inserting comedy where they was none before in an environment where it worked perfectly without it is a terrible terrible idea. Definitely read the manga on this one for it was excellent. And I read the side story, which was of the movie that they made in series, it's a nice touch but nothing essential, but I mostly read it to enjoy myself with a :3 face anyway. Did I mention how immensely I disliked the anime adaptation? It's probably fine if not epic if you've never read the manga, but, to someone who has it's damn near nigh unwatchable.

Jedi General

Postby Jedi General » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:11 am

I just finished reading this:

WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST READ?!?! :woah

Seriously, this is one of the most bizarre manga you will ever read! The next volume is out on September 14th and yet the wait already seems like it will be forever. I want to experience more of Felipe Smith's gleeful insanity NOW!

Next, I was going to read this:

But I just couldn't. Deadman Wonderland is a pretty crazy series too, but it has got nothing on Peepo Choo! Heck, just about anything would be underwhelming after reading Peepo Choo. I probably should have read Deadman Wonderland first!

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:37 pm

That Kodocha manga is sadly out of print, and semi-hard to buy without paying too much for the volumes. I've only managed to own 5 so far, but plan on eventually getting them all.

I've been wanting to check out PeepoCho after the couple interviews I read with the author. I forget it was out so I'll have to pick it up.

Right now I'm finally reading Pluto. Only two volumes in, and all I can think of at the moment about it is that it's a "Cute Watchmen." Right now I'm only liking it for Astroboy. He makes everything cute.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:01 pm

Littlewolf wrote:Right now I'm only liking it [Pluto] for Astroboy.

He is so crush-worthy in this. I'm halfway through Pluto, but it's been that way for far too long. I need to finish reading it asap. It's not as good as Urasawa's other stuff, yet I still can't help being really into the story. I love mysteries!
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:04 pm

I've only read the first two volumes of Pluto so far, but I just bought the rest of the series so I can finish reading it. I don't know why, but I'm such a sucker for this series and love it.

Return to “Manga, Comics, & Literature”