What manga or comics are you reading?

A section for fans of both Western and Eastern forms of graphic novels, manga, magazines, books, and everything in between.
classicalzawa

Re: What manga or comics are you reading?

Postby classicalzawa » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:16 am

chrisb wrote:Crossroads is one of my favorite manga series out there. It takes the cliche step sibling romance in a very unique and cool direction. The characters are attractive and very likable. I loved it.

Glad I'm not the only one who's read it! Though I've only read 3 volumes, so don't spoil anything for me! I have found copies I could get online, but I need to check that comic book store's massive manga stores, cus if they're there, they'd be cheaper then online (by about $6 or so, yes that is counting shipping from the internets). But yes, I will get them, now where to find room for them....
Still, for $1 a volume, I thought it was worth taking the risk and dive into it, great $1 blind buys! Gotta love the used stores!

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:29 am

Hmm, ok, I've got three from Arina Tanemura, all stuff I got for dirt cheap from that comic book store.

Actually the second one I read, but it's also the shortest. I think the fact that ION is so short is precisely its weakness, it had plenty of fun ideas, but it had to more or less info dump on you because it's only one volume and six chapters long. It's also one of Tanemura's earliest works that's not just a one chapter thing. It's basically fluffy looking shojo with some psychic powers, if it had been a longer series, it might've been more enjoyable, but as is, it's only decent imo. Also, it was fairly evident that Tanemura was new to this as the paneling isn't the best and can come off as a bit choppy. 3 out of 5

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne was actually the first of the three Tanemura stuff that I recently read. It starts off a bit weak, more or less like a boring magical girl series. Basically, the main is the reincarnation of Joan of Arc (Jeanne d'Arc). She quickly gains a rival who it named Kaito Sinbad (presumably his reincarnation though it never fully says so). They both take demons out of possessed paintings while Jeanne's friend acts detective and tries to catch Kaito Jeanne (by the end of the first volume, a boy with a crush on the main vows to catch Kaito Sinbad). Jeanne and Sinbad also know each other outside of "work" as they live next door and I think they know each other's secret by the end of vol 2. So on the plus side, the manga doesn't spend the entire time having the characters try and discover the others identity, they kinda already know, and of course the two mains just had to fall in love despite being rivals.
But I would say that other than a shaky beginning filled with boring "capture the painting demon!" thing that starts to run out around halfway through vol 2, my main problem was that the series was just too predictable. Ok, so the audience knows some things the characters might not, but even when it came to things neither knew, I'd already guessed what had happened. It's by no means bad, it's just nothing risky or new and it makes it fairly obvious that Arina Tanemura was still new to the artform. I'll still call it a decent read and give it a 3.5 out of 5 though.

And lastly, Full Moon O Sagashite, which MAL informs me more directly means "Searching for the Full Moon" because I was looking at the "O Sagashite" part going "wtf does that mean?". Anyway, this series was oddly morbid for a shojo, death was mentioned all over the place, starting with the main Mitsuki, who has a malignant throat tumor but doesn't want it removed because she'll be unable to sing (and she's 12). She lives with her grandma who is an absolute bitch about Mitsuki wanting to sing. Anyway, Mitsuki is visited by two shinigami from the pediatrics ward (the idea of which I found to be adorable) with the intent of taking her soul. Instead, she convinces them to give her a year to try and sing, and the male shinigami transforms her into a 16 year old to achieve this (and also makes her healthy when she's 16, which only made me beg the question "why bother turning back?"). Obviously she kinda succeeds. She's also singing for the boy she loves, Eichi, who moved to America 2 years ago after being adopted from the orphanage. Ok, so we have a 12 year old with throat cancer hanging around with shinigami (who became shinigami because they commited suicide, and you can bet we find out how that happened) singing for the boy she likes [spoiler]that she already knows is dead[/spoiler], so yeah, as far as shojo go, it's pretty damn morbid.
I found Full Moon to be far less predictable than Jeanne and enjoyed it more as a result. It also started off stronger with less magical girl bs. I think it's easily a far better series, but of course I do have some complaints. I had a bit of trouble telling one saucer eyed character from another at times and keeping up with some of the names when they suddenly changed from last name to first name without telling me their full name beforehand. And I think the ending was a bit of a copout. But overall, I certainly enjoyed it the most of the three and is the one I'd most recommend. 4 out of 5

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:44 am

Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth
Probably the most complex graphic novel I own. It's very hard to follow unless you read very slowly and it requires you to read it more than once. It follows a man named Jimmy Corrigan and his depressing reunion with the father he never knew. He has bizarre (at times sick) fantasies, but it's hard to hate the character. A parallel story shows Jimmy's grandfather as a child in the late 1800s and his tragic story. It's a strange mix of horror, drama, tragedy, and a hint of warmth towards the end. The art is pretty amazing. It wasn't an easy read, but it was so worth it. 9.5/10

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:38 am

Time for another mass post! I am going to save a few things for my next mass post (because I haven't read the last two volumes of Seiho Boys' High School for example, waiting on volume 7 to come in) but I've still got plenty of manga to talk about!

First up, I did indeed finish Crossroad, as I said I would! Got the rest online for pretty cheap, well worth the money if you ask me (then again, I got the whole series for maybe $15, but I would've been willing to pay more). It's one of those series that is shojotastic in a good way! Though from volume 4 on, some more romantic shojo elments were introduced that I don't think were entirely necessary, but I guess it didn't detract in the overall scheme of things either. Still, this is a series that I am very glad is on my shelf and would recommend to most anyone! I rate it 4 out of 5

Glad I was able to get Karakuri Odette before it really got hard to find. I think TRSI still has some copies left, so yeah, go grab them! This is a series that follows Odette, a robot trying to learn about what makes her and humans different (other than the obvious drinking of oil). But she doesn't really want to become human either. She meets some other robots, not as complex as she is. And yeah, the story pretty much follows Odette. There were some parts I was annoyed with, like not really getting an explanation for a few things and under utilizing some characters, but overall, it's definitely a series you need to jump on getting before it's too late. I also rated this one 4 out of 5

Ok, manhwa time with Model. This Korean girl living in...I forget, was it America or Europe? Either way, she helps a passed out drunk but gorgeous man, and being an artist, can't help but want to draw a picture. Seems he wasn't too pleased with this as he is a vampire, but he decides to more or less commission her to paint him. The vampire is also an artist who paints people's pictures and basically she ends up living at his mansion with a serious looking maid and another bishonen who likes bats or something. Now, it starts off pretty promising, but it drops the painting thing in order to learn more about the three people living at the mansion. Sadly, they are not overly interesting and it feels like half of the reveals were totally made up on the spot or something. So as it went on, it became progressively worse and then the ending didn't really make it all worth it either. Now, the girl was trying to learn about the characters to help her with her painting, but she more or less seems to have given up on it when it could have been very interesting. The art is pretty much entirely bishonen+hot topic, I didn't mind it too much, but if you like that style of art, it does a great job, I had no trouble following it even when the story got boring. I'd rate it 2.5 out of 5

Oho but there was more manhwa! Hotel Africa volume 2, which I finally got around to reading. I didn't want to read volume 2, not because volume 1 wasn't spectacular, but because I know nothing beyond volume 2 was published. Luckily, it doesn't end on a cliffhanger, as it was mostly episodic anyway, ut most episode took two chapters. Here we got to learn more about Elvis' friend Ed with more of the episodic goodness about the hotel in the middle of nowhere Utah itself that made the first volume so good. Really, it was mostly more of the same, but when it's this good to begin with, you don't really mind. Sad to know no one has rescued this *cough*Yen Press*cough* Also, I was only able to get a used copy for this and it ended up being an ex-library book with library binding (aka hardcover), most of the non-ex library books are kinda expensive, so settle for the library book here, it's worth it to get even a tiny bit more of this "shame it'll never be continued in English" series. Still a 4.5 out of 5 from me.

Finally got around to reading/buying some of the Sig stuff. Read volumes 3 and 4 of Saturn Apartments. It's weird, I felt like volumes 1 and 2 were quite different, 1 was more episodic window washing and 2 suddenly introduced an entire cast that lived around our main character Mitsu. It was a bit jarring of a transition, but I think i finally warmed up to the idea of that with these two volumes. Mostly in 4. But yeah, I was considering dropping it in 3, but then it really found its legs in 4, so I'm likely to keep buying them (it's only 7 volumes anyway, so we're nearing the end I suppose). I think if you get into the whole "people around Mitsu" thing faster, you'll enjoy it much quicker than I did, maybe it was just a case of expecting more of what volume 1 was only to not get it, but what they've replaced it with has become pretty awesome so yeah, good!

Ah, yes, Ikigami, the sort of premise you know only Japan could come up with for some reason. Maybe it's because I haven't really seen any shows from America where characters know they're going to die. It rather reminds me of Bokurano actually. Anyway, Japan, deciding that its sick of its apathetic citizens, decides that the best way to make them realize how precious life is is to kill a random citizen between the ages of 18 and 24 every day and only give them 24 hours notice before they die. This is done by way of a nanocapsule that 1 in 1000 people will receive hidden in a vaccine they are injected with in elementary school (and it really does have vaccine in it, not just a vitamin shot) which will pretty much stop their heart at a given time. No one knows who has these until it is almost time for the capsules to expire (due to an annoying and lengthy process described in volume 2). We kinda have a main, a guy working for the department who gives out the Ikigami (or death notices). We then see how they spend their final 24 hours. Most of the time, you as the audience goes "yikes, well this person really doesn't deserve to die at all" and the main is slowly starting to wonder that himself (but he won't say anything because big brother is watching). I understand that, at least through volume 7, it's more of the episodic 3-chapter long stories, but here's hoping that they will do more with the whole system thing. I'm not quite sure why it only works on people 18-24, seems kinda unfair in terms of timing after all (being in that age range myself) but yeah, it's a pretty depressing series, just know that before going in. I've read two volumes, but would like to eventually get more methinks.

It's weird, I've tried other Natsume Ono stuff, but I feel like House of Fives Leaves is the only one I really like. Maybe it's the whole Italian thing all over half her works which I find kinda pretentious or that she's really showing that she knows how to tell a story for once here. I've read five volumes, but rest assured, I'm dying to buy the last three. Some will find the pacing rather slow, but I find it to be just about right. We mostly follow Akitsu Masanosuke, the least likely looking samurai ever, seeing how he is extremely timid. He is, however, skilled, and gets picked up by the mysterious Yaichi to pose as a samurai for a simple money exchange and Masa somehow learns about the Five Leaves, a group that kidnaps for ransom, and somehow ends up joining them. Most of the members keep to themselves, but Masa is dying to know about their pasts and we slowly start to learn more about them, as well as see some of the jobs they pull off. I really do wish all of Ono's series could grab me like this, and I especially find it difficult to get into feudal era stuff due to not really knowing the history. But yeah, this is probably my favorite IKKI series thus far!

Also read the first 4 volumes of Shugo Chara. It's definitely a pretty kiddy series, I won't lie. It only really started to get interesting to me towards the end of volume 4, the stuff before it feeling more like an after school special or something. I'm not sure if I really want to continue or not, it's not bad, but I also get the feeling that it's just not for me. I expect Princess Tutu (the anime, not the manga *shudder*) out of my magical girl stuff these days.

And last, I finished the Darren Shan manga (aka, Cirque du Freak in America, the name that Yen Press chose to use as well). I've been a bit iffy on the manga-ish adaptation of Little,Brown books that Yen Press is pushing out. I don't know if it's because I don't necessarily think James Patterson is the best thing since sliced bread and half of their adaptations seem to be of James Patterson books, but this one is different. Part of it is that it's actual manga, this was made without Yen commissioning it. Obviously the got dibs to jump all over the rights to it and they certainly did, they even pushed out the first three volumes (or first arc) for volume 3 to be out in time for the god-awful movie. I've actually read the book series, but I didn't know about it until the manga came out (which I was iffy about and rented from the library). The mangaka constantly says in the back of the book about how much of a challenge it was to fit one book into one manga, clearly some things were going to get abridged, but they had a great sense of where to do this and where not to, they really did a great job (unlike the movie). But you can tell at the start that the mangaka wasn't exactly the best at artwork as it gets progressively better as the series goes on. Having read the books, this is pretty much exactly what it should look like in comic book form (except with better artwork in the earlier volumes on par with the middle to later volumes). Do I think it could have been improved had the mangaka not had to tell each entire volume in 8 weekly chapters? Yes, of course, but seeing how I read manga one before novel one, I could barely tell. I feel like it only really suffered a bit on volume 2 where most of RV's introduction got severely truncated. But I also very much appreciate how true it was to the novels, something which the movie absolutely murdered. I also already knew that some of the later volumes would get quite gruesome, you know the movies wouldn't dare touch that, glad the manga didn't shy away from it. I also remember thinking that the ending of the novel series came off a bit cheesy, somehow the manga fixed that, so I was quite pleased at it not coming off as cheesy and adding a bit more in the end to help tie things all together.
So yeah, this is pretty much how to correctly make an adaptation from Western (in this case, Irish) novel to manga, though it also helps that I really liked the book series too (I've started reading the prequel following Larten, which I'm sure will never be made into a movie because in the very first volume Larten tries to learn and expand his alcohol limit since it's made very clear that vampires can handle way more liquor than humans), I'd also like to see that get a manga by the same guy.
In the meantime, his series ARAGO finished in Japan, hopefully if the Cirque manga sold enough, Yen Press will consider picking up ARAGO, because you know it'll have the superior art from the end of Cirque with an all new story that is the mangaka's original (ARAGO is only the guy's second series, Cirque was the first, impressively enough) Being a fan of the original novels, I rate the series 4.5 out of 5, not sure how people who never read the original novels would think of it, but this was what made me check out the original series, so yeah, if that was what Little,Brown wanted, then mission freakin' accomplished.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Purchased the 2009-2010 reprints of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou tankoubon. These are more like premium editions rather than straight reprints. The books contain more chapters and after the first volume usually contain two chapters printed in colour. There are a number of "guess the kanji" moments but generally I've been able to suss out the dialogue. The reprinted version also contains the "Touge", the six page conclusion (of a sort) to the series.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:32 am

d.yaro wrote:Purchased the 2009-2010 reprints of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou tankoubon. These are more like premium editions rather than straight reprints. The books contain more chapters and after the first volume usually contain two chapters printed in colour. There are a number of "guess the kanji" moments but generally I've been able to suss out the dialogue. The reprinted version also contains the "Touge", the six page conclusion (of a sort) to the series.

So d.yaro, where did you purchase this from? Just curious.

Yay! I found Blood Alone 5! Below is the cover. I'm only a few pages in... but it's one of those stories that as soon as you pick it up, it seems like a long lost friend has returned home. Bonus: volume 6 is expected next month!

But, after Blood Alone 5... I'm finally onto reading Clover, which I picked up at Otakon. It's so beautiful.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:50 pm

^ I purchased my copies at Book-Off in Yonezawa. It is available (in Japanese) through Amazon.jp (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-langu ... uage=en_JP). I should clarify my "the books have more chapters" statement: the original tankoubon run was 14 volumes but the reprint is 10 volumes. Thus the reprinted volumes have more chapters. The original tankoubon covered 140 chapters (I believe) but the reprint has 142 (preview, 140 chapters and the epilogue).

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sun May 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Finished reading Hatsuhana tonight. It was an okay story. An out of the ordinary scenario which gets tied up neatly at the end with a somewhat cliched ending. It was billed as a romance comedy but I found the "comedy" element lacking most of the way as it highly dependent on what I'd call "pratfall situations" which I've seen plenty of in the past. I gave this one 5/10.

Truered

Postby Truered » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:46 pm

Started Kobato recently, she's so adorable :3

I'm also a couple of volumes into Twin Spica as well
Image Image Image

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:56 pm

Thus shall my Otakon purchases reading start! I went with Sakuran first. Sadly, the book decided to get the spine bend, it's my first freakin' time reading it! Bah!
Anyway, I was rather wanted more of this. I rather liked the main, and we basically see her go from a brothel maid to a Oiran, or top whore. So it's basically a character study, but a really solid one. Artwise, it's overall good, but sometimes I had trouble telling who was talking or some of the decorative hookers apart. But for anyone looking for a good character study, I do heartily recommend this. Except my spine is already bent! HOW?! But having all those color pages in it is quite nice, and it's not just a few in the beginning, like 5 chapters start off with 4 color pages and they are all there! Not printed on glossy paper, but it also makes them not stick out like a sore thumb when viewing from the side, so that's good. As for book size, it's a typical Vertical smallish book, so it's a bit smaller than a normal Viz book. It's almost 300 pages on the plus side, so they did a very nice release. And unlike Viz's translation of Ooku, this is perfectly readable and not in Fakespeare! I do approve of that.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:07 am

Book two of my Otakon haul! I'm going for the short series first, thus went with Wild @ Heart, complete in one omnibus. And really, I don't feel like there's much to say about it. It's like the most perfectly stereotypical shojo ever. This girl's dad finds a wild child on some island and she gradually falls for him. There's some hijinks, then his family finds him, and it ends just sooooo predictably. I mean, it was enjoyable in its own way, but having read 6 volumes of Arisa and 2 volumes of Kitchen Princess, I know Natsumi Ando is capable of soooo much more. I do think it would make a perfect shojo complete in one gift for a 10 year old though, and I don't necessarily mean that in a negative way, I could see it being a good gateway drug sort of thing. There's also a couple of short stories, I kinda wish one of them had gotten a full series instead.
I dunno, there's just not much to talk about here, it's incredibly middle of the road. There's nothing special, but there's nothing bad either. It's just your standard fluff shojo. Glad I only paid $4 for it, honestly.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Does Usamaru Furuya get a hard on for drawing? I'm 100% serious, it's the only possible way to describe the labor of love that the artwork in Genkaku Picasso is. I mean, this is the third work I've read by the guy, and this one by far has the best artwork. See, half of the chapters take place inside a picture that our main character (nicknamed Picasso, though he prefers DaVinci), and it has a distinct...filter compared to the not pictures, and it's just soooo cool! But ok, I don't usually rave about the art in manga this much, but it really is an integral part, considering that the story is about a kid who almost dies and is only able to stay alive by drawing pictures of the problems in people's hearts then diving into them (just his soul, mind you) and fixing the problems from there. But the pictures, it's like they contain an entire world! Like when you painting jumped in Mario 64. But slowly, his helping people also earns him friends around him, so the cast does overall build upon each successive picture. It's a rather hard series to describe, it can be formulaic (see evil, draw it, jump in), but it's just so damn unique and enjoyable that I kinda don't care. I found the ending a bit predictable, but all the others to have nice twists. It's a short 3 volume series, so I would suggest getting it now. 4 out of 5

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:23 am

The Flowers of Evil - Been reading the scanlations and buying the releases. I guess it's ending next month and I'm loving the direction they took the series in. The characters went from annoying and disturbed teenagers to moody yet sensible adults. I'm glad the manga decided to go with a realistic route instead of creating a senseless crazy drama.

beken

Postby beken » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:46 pm

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:38 am

^ That looks like a title I'd read whilst standing in a book store. That's something which is not discouraged over here.

I'm still plugging away at "Tonari no Seki-kun" volume 1....

beken

Postby beken » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:46 am

I don't know. I can't decide....

Hattie

Postby Hattie » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:29 am

I know... I sometimes browse the manga section in various bookstores but never end up buying anything.

I guess I do it for nostalgia, or I'm hoping that I'll find something I HAVE to buy. But that's really rare these days, as I can barely get around to reading my "normal" books. :sweat

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:09 am

Hattie wrote:I know... I sometimes browse the manga section in various bookstores but never end up buying anything.

I guess I do it for nostalgia, or I'm hoping that I'll find something I HAVE to buy. But that's really rare these days, as I can barely get around to reading my "normal" books. :sweat

I just can't bring myself to buy at the store anymore. Not when I can wait until there are sales at Right Stuf and just buy 5 volumes to get the free shipping. Basically it's like buy 4 get 1 free given normal store prices.

As for me I picked up several volumes of Oh My Goddess I needed at Otakon. I got 4 of the 5 volumes I needed at a discount store in the DR. Only cost me $5 per volume. Now that I am caught up on them time to get more of The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Less than a week ago, I discovered a new manga called World Trigger. Without knowing anything about it, I picked it up from the local bookstore and started to read it and I really enjoyed what I saw. I finished Volume 1 in only 2 sittings and I already picked up Volume 2 and plan on reading it pretty soon. After doing a little research I found out that there are already 8 volumes released in Japan and an anime adaptation started airing a little over 2 weeks ago! In my opinion, it has the potential to be the next great Shonen Jump property among the likes of Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, and One Piece. Definitely a good addition to any manga collection. Trigger On!
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:55 am

Got myself 2 yuri titles to check out. I got the first volume of Citrus and the first omnibus of Whispered Words. Both seem to get good reviews but also are supposedly quite different in how they handle the relationships in the series.

Return to “Manga, Comics, & Literature”