Is there a manga you wish you could drop but couldn't?

A section for fans of both Western and Eastern forms of graphic novels, manga, magazines, books, and everything in between.
aya honda

Is there a manga you wish you could drop but couldn't?

Postby aya honda » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:46 pm

As the title of my post says, is there a manga you wish you could just drop, but couldn't? Is there a manga you wish you could drop because the volumes aren't easy to find, because you have to wait for them too long or just because the story isn't great anymore? But in spite of all that, you still find yourself in the position to look for the new chapters, for the volumes, although there's something inside you telling you you shouldn't do it anymore?

Let me explain by giving my example. I wish I could drop Bleach. Really, I wish I did, because so much money have been wasted with it, so many hours of looking and waiting for the volumes and in the end the manga is getting worse and worse (at least in my opinion). I just don't enjoy this manga as I used to. At the beginning when I started it after a while I got bored with it and dropped it but soon afterwards I started to read it again and now I am facing the trouble of dropping it again. But I fear that this time I wouldn't start to read it again, except to pick up the last volume. I am sick and tired of how slow everything seems to be moving and especially the direction towards which the story seems to go.

I know that Bleach isn't and has never been very deep or profound, but I liked some of the characters, I cared about their fate, I wanted to read about them all the time. Sometimes, I had some really nice surprises and I was happy with it. But now I think I have completly lost my interest since the Turn the Pendulum arc, and in spite of all this, I keep reading it, I keep looking for the new chapters. I feel like I am doing it mostly because of the force of habit, but even after I tried to drop it, I couldn't. I looked for the new chapter and still read it hoping that somehow it will turn for the better, which by the way doesn't happen. Again in my humble opinion. I feel like I have become addicted to it. :roll:

So has it happened to you too or am I alone in this situation?

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Re: Is there a manga you wish you could drop but couldn't?

Postby d.yaro » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:52 am

Raises hand and then points to last six tankoubon of あぁ!!女神さま (Ah! My Goddess) sitting in a neat pile and unread. I think I've been buying the series since the early 1990s. I finally stopped shopping for it about a year ago. Yet I know if I go into Book-Off and see a volume I haven't purchased...I'll likely buy it. So I'll have seven unread volumes instead.

I don't know what to say. Fujishima's artwork has improved over time so visually the series has matured a lot. But the basic premise has worn out on me. Remember, this is a series I followed intently for at least ten years and on a so-so basis in the past four to five years. There are moments of sheer beauty and good laughs but really, can't we just put an end to it? Actually, I don't care if that question gets answered. But that likely won't be enough to stop me from buying more of the series...especially if I can get them cheap at Book-Off.

One day I'm going to grab all the books of that series off my shelf, scan for the ones I want to keep and then carry the remaining volumes down to Book-Off. And that will be the end of the story. I've done that to several series already (Gunnm, an obscure series titled "No Side" - rugby manga - and some one offs). I suppose next up for termination would be Gunsmith Cats, Akira and my really old Viz "Ranma 1/2" and Dark Horse "Appleseed" comics.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

Saki

Postby Saki » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:14 pm

aya honda wrote:I wish I could drop Bleach.

So has it happened to you too or am I alone in this situation?

I feel your pain. It's awfully slow right now, though it finally seems to head to a fight everyone has been expecting: [spoiler=]Ichigo vs. Ulquiorra.[/spoiler] And Orihime being all whiny makes me wish she grew some guts!
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:09 am

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Vagabond. Reason being is because I love the series, I love it to death, one of my top 5 favorite series in fact, but that's just the problem. The series is just so chalk full of graphic content that according to my moral religious standards and all I really shouldn't be reading it. But I can't stop reading it nonetheless, because it's just too darn good! XD I just wish it didn't have to be so darn graphic is all. And I'm not just talking about violence (which of course I can understand, it being about Samurai and all) but sex as well.......

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:42 am

I really dislike orihime. But I wish I could drop Ouran because it goes on for so long. I love it so much though so I cannot just drop it.

Il y Aura Du Sang

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:05 pm

Seeing how, by the time I've reached the fifth volume of Fullmetal Alchemist, the story has reached around the midpoint of the anime, I have felt like quitting it. However, I still see myself caring for the fate of the characters so I haven't quite left it out to dry yet.

I feel similarly with the Haruhi Suzumiya light novel series. It's been two years since the latest volume and there are no signs at all that the next volume (a continuation of the first bona-fide cliffhanger of the entire series) will come out this year. That would have dissuaded me if it had happened with other series, but I am a softie for this franchise.

Si eres bueno para algo, no lo hagas gratis.

Truered

Postby Truered » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Some things:

Naruto- because I have 12 volumes of the manga, and the first two seasons on DVD, and can't find myself able to choose which to focus on. I'm finally moving towards the manga now...

Negima at the moment. Due to the prices. Have up to vol 16, but with the pound weak against the dollar, a volume which used to be about £4.50 is now £6-7, so I'm waiting for them to go down in price :(

Also Excel saga was a bit annoying, as in 2007 I had up to volume 4, and it took me three or so months to finally obtain volumes 5 and 6 which had gone out of stock on amazon, and weren't on another retail site (which usefully didn't detail whether it was in stock or not :evil: )
Image Image Image

Truered

Postby Truered » Sat May 16, 2009 4:37 pm

I now have an annoying reversal of the topic.

Picked up volume 1 of "all new Tenchi muyo" not paying attention to the rest. Volume 2 is out of stock on the four sites I use, along with volume 8 and another I think. So now I'm stuck with volume 1 of a series I like, but for now I can't really get anymore :(
Image Image Image

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Sat May 16, 2009 9:54 pm

Ditto on the Naruto. I'm a very very slow anime./manga collector, and I buy used when I can because I just don't have money. Heck, I lost interest in manga right before Sasuke tried to originally kill Naruto (too much fighting, too little story) and then I get the bright idea a couple months back to try it again and for a whole weekend I couldn't stop reading scanlations. When I finally caught up I was looking at my manga collection, wishing to reread the first couple volumes in my hands than on computer, and wondering why the heck I didn't own Naruto.

So then requested the first 20 or so volumes via paperbackswap (my saving money used book haven) and I now have the first 12 or so... but now every time I walk into Walmart they have this giant stand full of Naruto manga for like 6 bucks a piece, and then there's that whole Ninja Invasion campaign (I don't know what it's called) with 4 volumes a month or so... and when I DO walk into Walmart it's usually after I get paid so... I leave walmart now with bunches of Naruto volumes and I hate it. But the fangirl in my has got to own them all! So I have like... the first 10, and the lastest 15, and bunches of random volumes inbetween (Paperback swap doesn't give them to me in order) I enjoy reading manga off the computer only so far... Ah my wallet. DAMN YOU VIZ! DAMN YOU!

As to the other long series I'm collecting, like Tsubasa R.C. and Bleach I'm content just to wait the months in between for a used copy to pop up on Paperbackswap. Took about a year to get the first 15 volumes of Bleach, but I didn't pay more than 20 bucks for them. Maybe it's the lack of interest in their current arcs that's keeping me holding back, unlike Naruto... which I find I am constantly re-reading various parts here and there to help refresh my memory on little bits that pop up on the latest chapters.

I CAN'T AFFORD THIS DAMMIT! STOP IT VIZ!!

And like Truered I now find myself torn between buying the Naruto manga, or the anime because my little nephew just turned 5, and I'm all ready to convert him into ninja stuff, but he can't read subtitles, so I need the dub, but I want it the uncut dub... god damn those box sets are expensive. But must get Naruto and Ninja Turtles to brainwash nephew...

I've got many many series I'm slowly collecting, but those are the longest. I think Hana Kimi and Inu Yasha will be the next super long series I attempt to collect because they're mostly available on paperbackswap without long waits.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Sat May 23, 2009 1:45 am

I don't even bother buying VIZ's Naruto volumes anymore. But I have an almost complete set of the Japanese volumes (45 of 46) thanks to Web sites like Sasuga (it's actually cheaper to import anyway). VIZ makes enough money on the series as it is, so they don't need mine (and I'm still paying via the Japanese vols. anyway).
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Sat May 23, 2009 4:39 am

Yeah, ever since the latest Naruto Nation campaign I've pretty much given up on buying the Viz versions myself. Just too much to tackle right now and so many other series I want to read as well. Though I really wouldn't mind at all owning the volumes straight out of Japan though. Can't read Japanese unfortunately but at least the art would be nice to look at. 8-)

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Sat May 23, 2009 5:16 am

BrothersElric wrote:Can't read Japanese unfortunately but at least the art would be nice to look at. 8-)

Although I can partially translate some Japanese, I've read the series through so many times that I can pretty much tell what's being said anyway. =P

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Sat May 23, 2009 5:46 am

Pastachan wrote:Although I can partially translate some Japanese, I've read the series through so many times that I can pretty much tell what's being said anyway. =P

Heh, yeah, you make a very good point. :P

braves

Postby braves » Sat May 23, 2009 2:51 pm

Why has the Naruto Nation campaigns deterred you all from buying the Viz volumes? It's not like you have to buy them all at once.

Or is this case that you have to be on the latest volume...?

Which I still don't get because the JP volumes were way ahead of the English releases.

Bonham

Postby Bonham » Sun May 24, 2009 1:24 am

Just realized I want to drop Nana.

SO BADLY.

It's not as though I'm even buying it anymore, but I keep on checking out volumes from the library. It's my greatest guilty pleasure.

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Sun May 24, 2009 3:02 am

@braves: I know you're asking Bro, but I'm personally not a fan of the "Naruto Nation" campaigns either. Releasing that many volumes at once is ridiculous. I understand it's because Naruto is their most popular series, but I still think VIZ should be using that money to focus on other things right now.

Also, the quality of their releases is bleargh terrible.

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Sun May 24, 2009 3:46 am

braves wrote:Why has the Naruto Nation campaigns deterred you all from buying the Viz volumes? It's not like you have to buy them all at once.

Or is this case that you have to be on the latest volume...?

Which I still don't get because the JP volumes were way ahead of the English releases.

Basically it's just the fact that you fall behind on the releases very, very quickly and it's just too much to deal with, even if I don't buy them all at once. And even though I'm all for supporting the series as much as possible (which as pasta already mentioned, Naruto doesn't really need anyways), basically it's just too much trouble to go through for a series I've already read all of up to this point. Although I will say my goal one day is to own the entire series from start to finish, just not right now is all.

Truered

Postby Truered » Sun May 31, 2009 8:07 pm

Being a UK fan I had no idea about this ninja nation thing or whatever it is. I just knew releases had been sped up to 3 a month (I think). It's a bit disheartening to own up to volume 14, and look to see volume 44 is out :lol:

Why can't they do that with Bleach? I have up to volume 24, and 27 was just released I think :( Bleach is my trashy novel of the manga world, I sit down and read through it quickly. Naruto I seem to find harder to get into for some reason.
Image Image Image

Return to “Manga, Comics, & Literature”