What books are you reading?

A section for fans of both Western and Eastern forms of graphic novels, manga, magazines, books, and everything in between.
aya honda

Re: What books are you reading?

Postby aya honda » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:54 pm

I feel compelled to bow at the awesomeness of Neil Gaiman's talent in telling stories.. I have just finished American Gods and it blew me away. It was unbelievable in the sense that it is nothing special and yet there is so much more than meets the eyes. Gaiman's talent as a story teller (for me) is unbelievable. His writing flows naturally, his characters are really believable and for me shadow will be one of the few main characters with which I have empathise more than all others.

I have read most of Gaiman's work but this novel will always be special to me.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:36 am

Have to say I have not read many of his books. Though many people I know love him and his stories. Think I might have to check some more books of his out at the library in the coming weeks.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm now partway through the first "An Orison of Somni 451" segment of Cloud Atlas. The book is pretty good. It does keep my interest. But I'm finding it to be bit of a light read. Not sure why. I suppose I'm in a bit of hurry to get through it. Part of that is anticipation I suppose. I read an article about the movie so I think that is a contributing factor as to why I'm going through the book so quickly. I might slow down a bit when I go through the bits which I think the movie didn't dwell on too much (or so I'm expecting). We'll see...
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:03 am

I do like reading, I really, do, I just usually have to remind myself. Because public schools in America suck all the fun out of reading, demanding that you see symbolism in everything or you're a retard. You never get to read anything fun. I think it's been a while since I've last read some stuff, like college when I signed up for that Women's Studies course in my last semester without actually reading the course description (which was young adult fantasy/scifi written by women, which, I can't say I would've shied away from completely, but I might've had second thoughts. Also, I didn't even read all of the books for that class, one of them sucked such a tremendous amount of ass that I just quit halfway through, the other suggestions were good though).

So yeah, I looked up the trope "Groundhog Day Loop", because that is a trope I really like, and I got a few books out of it. First, I read Heir Apparent, which is young adult, about a girl who gets trapped in a virtual reality video game that will restart itself upon failed attempts. Part of the book was clearly pointing at those jerkwads who seem to want to protect our children from fiction and fantasy, in which the game only becomes dangerous (it might overload and fry the main's brain) because they staged a hasty protest and trashed the safety mechanism on the machine. Anyway, I enjoyed it, and enjoyed seeing possible outcomes, much easier to avoid in future attempts. This was a three-days thing, so it was more like Majora's Mask, except she kept getting murdered, lol! I kinda liked how, at the end, it was revealed [spoiler]that if the player cries, the game will help you out, she only cries at the end when its about to overload and kill her, so the game tells her how to win. Then, it's revealed what was probably the far easier course that most players took through the game (though I must say the main's decisions made perfect logical sense)[/spoiler]

Also in the entry was Replay by Ken Grimwood, where a guy suffers a heart attack at 43, and wakes up to find he's 18 in his college dorm again. He keeps dying at 43 and wakes up a little further along in his timeline (with default choices having been filled in by the original timeline). The internets helped me out and said he's [spoiler]202[/spoiler] by the time the novel ends. The first time, he does what we'd all do and bet big on sporting events he knows will happen and companies he knows will make it big. Obviously, this will get erased. I was starting to get a tad bored until [spoiler]Pamela, who is also a replayer[/spoiler] shows up and then things get way more awesome. I think the scifi was lighter here, kinda surprised this wasn't just in with the normal fiction for that. And [spoiler]it's never explained why this keeps happening or what started it all[/spoiler], which I don't mind.

Next up will be John Dies at the End. Yes, I am a Cracked reader, why do you ask? But it also did show up for this trope.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:42 pm

I started reading "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" this morning. I've managed to make why way through 180 pages or so of it. Tis a bit of a captivating read I must say...

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:28 am

^ Polished off the last half of the above mentioned book last night. I had left it for some time and needed to do something different for a change.

As for the book itself, I can see how some people felt that pieces of the puzzle showed up in a somewhat overly deliberate and just so convenient fashion. Putting that aside, I felt that the early and middle parts of the book were relatively strong. The climax was just that but I can think of others which shocked me more.

Anyways, I shall take a short break before tackling the next entry in the trilogy.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:30 am

In the process of finish up reading Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Both are actually older books but very good reads indeed. I wanted to take a break from fantasy/urban fantasy and read some good science fiction. I've read some other stuff from Banks but never his "Culture" series. It's hailed as one of the best world building-epic-space opera science fiction series. I can see why. The book is rife with terrific settings, characters, races, etc. It's so interesting to me some of the thins that the human race has achieved in the books comparing when it was written in 1987 to today. It is bittersweet though as Banks passed away early this year. His passing prompted me to finally read the series.

Snow Crash is a great science fiction cyber punk novel. Again, great characters, an engaging plot, and a terrific setting. Where as Phelbas has that world building space opera vibe Snow Crash is cyber punk science fiction at it's best to me. Shame I never got to these 2 novels until now. Better late than never I suppose.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:30 pm

Finished reading "The Book of Negroes" by Lawrence Hill yesterday. I believe the title of the book is "Someone Knows My Name" in the US, UK, New Zealand, and Australia. I started reading it on the flight back to Narita from Vancouver. So it was a relatively quick read by my standards. All in all I found the story compelling and generally couldn't put the book down. It's a novel that follows the life story of a girl who was kidnapped in Western Africa and sold into slavery. The title of the book comes from the name of a registry of African-Americans who were shipped out of New York by the British after the end of the American War of Independence.

Hattie

Postby Hattie » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:37 am

Started Dune recently. Wowza this is gonna take a while...

I don't usually read science fiction, but when I do it's the dopest.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:33 am

^ Oh yeah... Dune. A friend of mine hated it. Called it "Dry as the planet it takes place on". Nonetheless, I read all six of the books in the series authored by Frank Herbert. Didn't read the two sequels co-authored by his son. I must of finished reading Chapterhouse: Dune back in late 1980s. I hardly remember anything of it.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:54 am

Been in a big science fiction space opera type mood myself. Got a few new and old series I am going through right now.

Safehold Series by David Weber. I've heard if you like big space opera series with lots of intrigue and depth this is one to read.

The Culture Series by Ian Banks. I actually read the first 3 years ago but never continued it. Be interesting to start it again after all this time.

Takeshi Kovacs Series by Richard K Morgan. I loved Neuromancer and Snow Crash as they were great mixes of science fiction and cyber punk genres. The Takeshi Novacs series was suggested to me by a friend because I enjoyed Neuromancer and Snow Crash.

The Owner's Series by Neal Asher. I honestly don't know much about this one. None of my friends have read it. It sounded interesting and it was a suggested read, if you like this then try this etc., when I was checking out the Safehold series by David Weber.

Academy Series by Jack McDevitt. Another one suggested to me that I know not a lot about. The suggestion said it was a big world building space epic which intrigued me. Maybe less on the action and more on the intrigue or mystery. Sounded interesting.

Casandra Kresnov Novels by Joel Shepherd. I was actually pointed to this one by a Barnes and Noble employee. When I bought a friend her x-mas gift I got her book one of another book series I started. A science fiction cyber punk series with a feudal Japan meets the future type of setting. The worker at B&N suggested this series. He said it has more of a science fiction tone to it and less of the cyber punk but with an equally interesting main female protagonist. A badass female warrior who isn't just eye candy or sleeping around like many urban fantasy female leads. I'm a sucker for a badass babe so I figured why not check it out.

As for stand alone single novels I've got Transcendental and The Waking Engine checked out of the library as well.

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:02 am

Hattie wrote:Started Dune recently. Wowza this is gonna take a while...

I don't usually read science fiction, but when I do it's the dopest.

Oooh Dune is second in line on my next thing to read! Are you liking it so far?

As for me I've been reading Stormdancer that Psycho got me, and it's awesome! I want to thank you again for it, I'm 3/4 of the way through, stuffs getting intense

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 am

I just finished book 1 myself! Yea it got pretty intense and heavy at the end. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A nice unique setting I thought. Not often you get a sort of steampunk samurai-esque setting like it. There's 3 books in the series out so far. Once I'm done some of my others I have out now from the library I plan to rent book 2.

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:05 am

I'm currently in the middle of 3 different series (I know its alot, but I have my home book, my gym book, and my work book so it all works out)

I'm on the final book of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, which was AMAZING, highly recommend, its fantasy, but it doesn't focus on just the magic aspects, it makes you really think about things and life and wow im awful at explaining, READ IT, youll understand. I've become so attached to the characters, its very upsetting that the last book just came out. (Although the final 3 books, got a little run on-ish I think they would have been better served as one book as opposed to a trilogy)

Im on the 12th book of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, which I got the first book of from the TAA secret santa two (?) years ago I think, also pretty amazing, it is ALOT more fantasy based, huge books, so many characters and plot lines to follow, there was honestly one book where I believe it was just each group of characters reaction to what happened in the previous book. Which may sound really weird, but it was a really interesting writing mechanic. So if you are into long series and complex story, I recommend.

Lastly Im on the third book of the Shanara series by Terry Brooks. Super classic fantasy, theres a show coming out for the second book in January, Im super excited, hope they don't screw it up, but Terry is holding creative rights so hopefully that means something.

Oh! and Psycho, i finished the series you started me on last year, it was awesome! First time reading something steampunk, while I generally dont find interest in steampunk ideals or fashions, this book was SO GOOD, it wasnt like in your face, it had great world building and character development, definitely a good trilogy that doesn't try to shove steampunk in your face, its just that kind of world with a great story that takes part in it.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:56 am

Finished reading Neil Young's second memoir "Special Deluxe". It was a good read. Fairly serious near the end but that was understandable given the author's commitment to the subject (reducing cardon dioxide emissions). I thought it seemed relatively candid in tone on the surface but not really so once you scratched the surface and gave the stories a bit more thought. All in all it was a good read.

I've now started on Yann Martel's "Beatrice and Virgil". The first bit was a bit slow but after page 50 things have started to get a lot more interesting....

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:06 pm

So I'm currently focused on 3 books. Of those books 2 are from a book club I am a part of. Normally each month you can sign up to do the "pick it for me" challenge and you get paired up with 1 person. Then you pick 3 recommendations for them and vice versa. There's also always a theme for that month so at least 1 of those recommendations needs to fit that theme. The group also has a straight up book of the month selection as well. Well this month for something new all of the participants (7 this month including me) have to suggest 2 books to every person with 1 of them fitting the theme. The theme btw is kissing this month. So one of the 2 suggestions has to have some good kissing going on in it. Select almost any urban fantasy book with a female lead and you're bound to get it. So each participant is getting 12 books recommended to them. Now this admin has some prizes for those who can complete 2 books, 3 books, & 5+ books. We started a week late so it's also going to run through 4th of July. Of the 12 suggested to me I want to read 10. Probably won't get to them all right now but eventually. I am going to shoot for the 5 book goal though by July 4th. Already halfway through the first. I'm also continuing a series I started before this. Fortunately it's a young adult series so it's a fast read.

So currently I'm reading:

Changeless which is book 2 in the series I started in my previous post. Lucky for me someone saw I read book 1 and suggested book 2. It also fit the kissing theme. Overall I enjoyed the first book. I think the main character Alexia could be fleshed out more. She seemed a bit...contradictory. As if the author couldn't decide on her personality all the way. So she'd go from strong and stoic with no desire for gossip to being a slight busy body and all wide eyed at the main male lead. She also I thought was a bit condescending to her supposed best friend. Just some personality conflicts. I've heard she's more fleshed out as the series progresses and "even" for lack of a better term. Plus I like the whole Victorian era setting with werewolves and vampires and science and steampunk. And the one gay vampire side character Lord Akeldama is just pure awesome.

Dead City book 2. It's the young adult series I was already reading. It's a different take on the whole zombie genre. In this world they're limited just to Manhattan due to a geological reason. There's also different types of zombies. The main character goes to a school where select kids there are chosen to basically police the bad zombies and protect the good ones. It's nothing award winning but it's a nice fun read that's easy ans fast to read and as I said gives a more unique take on the zombie genre.

Red Rising. Funny how I was just saying I've been wanting to start this series heh. This one was one of the recommendations I got from another book club member. Given I've talked about it at work, mentioned it here, and then it gets suggested to me at the book club I take it as a sign I should just finally read the damn book lol. So once I'm done the other book club book I started first I'll be starting this one. Then I can tell ya Charlie if it's any good or not heh.

Il y Aura Du Sang
Location: Guam. 18 minutes away from the start of WW3. How's your day?

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:52 am

Just finished IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE by Walter Murch, who did cinematography for Francis Ford Coppola (THE GODFATHER, THE CONVERSATION). Although it focuses on movie editing, his ideas and techniques can apply to storytelling as a whole. His discussion on bllinking - yes, the act of a character blinking - goes on for 20+ pages and I highly recommend it. Sadly the book has no digital edition, but you can still get it rather easily, and it costs little.
Nada nos libra. Nada más queda.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:34 am

Read a short story by Akutagawa Ryunosuke on my flight back to Japan on Tuesday. It's not long enough to be a novella but does have eight chapters. Its title is "Kappa". It's somewhat topical now given that Akutagawa wrote it a while before he committed suicide. Back when it was first published some readers thought it was children's story but once you start reading between the lines that appearance quickly fades away.

beken

Postby beken » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:16 am

I have know idea why I decided I needed to brush up on my calculus.

Return to “Manga, Comics, & Literature”