What are you watching?

Area to discuss all things anime related.
Sentire

Re: What are you watching?

Postby Sentire » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:09 pm

Finished Another last week. It was suspenseful and a little dark. I have to say that the ending was a little frustrating. This isn't exactly a spoiler, but I'll just say that people don't act normally as you would expect in that situation. Still, all in all, it was pretty entertaining.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:28 pm

I'm currently splitting my time between Ranma 1/2 and Dragon Ball. Ranma 1/2 was a series I had heard a lot about over the last decade and a half but never watched it until I picked up the Blu-ray release earlier this year. I haven't had as much time as I would have liked to watch the episodes I have. Dragon Ball is a series that I think doesn't get the credit it deserves half the time because it's in the shadow of Dragon Ball Z but it really builds the foundation of the entire franchise because without Dragon Ball, there would be no DBZ to take the entire world by storm.

Also, I picked up Battle of Gods on release day. It was awesome.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:36 am

ive been back on my anime train a bit the last few weeks since i finally got moved back into my house.

over the last 3 weeks ive watched

Chu2Koi season 2, all Chu2Koi specials, webisodes, OVAs and Movie
Beyond the Boundry, all specials and ova
30 episodes of Naruto Shitpoodamn (im so far behind because i hate it, but im gonna finish it by god) as well as movies 5 and 6
Attack on Titan OVA's 1-3 (not the Levi one yet since part 2 aint out)
and i literally just watched episodes 1-16 of Kill la Kill, gonna finish it before it's Toonami airing this weekend

A Mystery

Postby A Mystery » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:43 pm

Shitpoodamn :lol: ?

I stopped watching somewhere in Kabuto's zombie arc. I just couldn't handle it anymore.

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:19 pm

smart person you are.

this show has truly lost itself in what it's doing. They've stuck themselves on franchising it early, cutting production costs down so much that the show even LOOKS bad 90% of the time. A million and 3 flashbacks at all times, flashbacking to things you just saw for which they had a flashback in so you watch it again. and then the whole episode goes by and nothing happened.
FILLER, which i don't mind (i mean Naruto had 75+ episodes of filler before Shippuudan and that was ridiculous, but then 25 episodes into Shippuudan you realized the filler was more entertaining in every way because Shippuudan is ass crackers) has become so ridiculous in the show it blows my mind. And not just because it's PRESENT all the time or it's BAD.

In the middle of the 80 episodes ive watched over the last month or so to catch up, and im now at 362 btw, there was the filler arc POWER. a 6 part nibi story that was SO GOOD, it ruins the show even more for it being so. High quallity, movie like, animation the entire arc, fantastic directing and story telling, interesting characters and side villages, depressing LOSS that you rarely feel during the actual show because everyone always lives and of course the big action fights bla bla.
And when it ended i was so mad that the very next episode, which was back tot he REAL story, was so sup-par and bland i couldn't believe a company would OKAY that lol.

got Naruto is so bad

A Mystery

Postby A Mystery » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:52 pm

Yeah it's really bad. I can handle a lot, but those zombies were all old foes, like Haku. Haku's story was all good, done, finished and over. But NO WE HAD TO WATCH EVERYTHING AGAINNN and with worse looking scenes to boot. YAY... not.

I think it's a real shame. The source material is good enough to make a fine series, even with Sasuke being too whiny/dark and Naruto acting too dumb. Even with the resurrection and people not dying. With good direction and high quality animation at the right time, they can go faster through the dumb parts of the series and make the golden parts of the show shine. A good director can cut unnecessary scenes.

But it's really a 'We have to make big bucks with the least effort possible! We have to wait for the source material!' in most cases. Which is weird, because in some arcs the fights look REALLY good. In some arcs you really FEEL for the characters (like with Asuma and Shika/Ino/Cho). Why do it superbly one time and then suck the next fight? Such an uneven series in terms of quality. And the example you mentioned of making the filler better makes even less sense.

Somebody should just stop this project and do a Brotherhood. The name would fit with the rivalry/friendship of NaruSasu. Heh.

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:31 am

I'd agree with that if it hadn't gone so far. Over 10 years and 500 episodes in, ending it now would mean we really did waste our time. I just want it to end and then no more... ever. I mean the Manga is actually over so it should be fine.
Even if the manga hadn't ended it's too late to even pull the Bleach or D.Gray-Man and just end it on their terms "til further notice" which probably won't exist for either of these.

Man just bring back Hunter X Hunter

Hattie

Postby Hattie » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Ugh, I stopped watching Naruto after the megafillers started, and I stopped watching Shippuuden after 15 episodes. Naruto was the best manga up until the final war arch and the ending was not good (to put it nicely). Still probably my fave manga overall because of nostalgia.

Agreed, though, I never want HXH to end... I actually have to catch up to the anime (ending?) because I'm behind.

Watching IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls. It's pretty dope. I'm actually glad a lot of anime lately is really sucky so I can actually focus on just one thing — one really good thing — and not have to sift through all the garbage.

I also want to pick up Death Parade, because I watched the Anime Mirai episode and liked it. There's still a lot of other things I want to preview...
AKB48AKB48AKB48AKB48AKB48AKB48AKB48AKB48

A Mystery

Postby A Mystery » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Death Parade is always fun to watch. Every episode is different in content, which is a problem in one way, because the show hasn't given us many answers yet as to how the Death Parade world works. I'd love to see that, but because the focus isn't always on the world itself but often on the dead duo that eppie, it doesn't seem like a doable thing in only one cour. I would want the show to expand more on the regular cast as well. And the judgement system is up to debate of course, especially during one episode. I have to say though, every episode is interesting and really well done.

The last episode was the best one yet :lol: laughed out loud many times.

O and one last complaint: the opening is too good and sticks in my head. It was hard to fall asleep last night.

I'm watching Steins;Gate at the moment. It's not like I'm absolutely loving it though. I really like the timetraveling theme, it's just that I don't dig our talky mad scientist yet.

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:11 am

I just finished watching Blue Exorcistand I think it was pretty decent, it jumped around in style alot i think, and could have been a little more cohesive at the end, but I think that could be attributed to the manga not being done yet. Hmm. Maybe I should read that.

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:53 pm

cow-boy_be-bop wrote:I just finished watching Blue Exorcistand I think it was pretty decent, it jumped around in style alot i think, and could have been a little more cohesive at the end, but I think that could be attributed to the manga not being done yet. Hmm. Maybe I should read that.

I thought the same thing, and someone told me that at around the half way point it strayed 100% from the manga to do it's own thing.
Which makes sense

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:46 am

So I just started up "My bride is a Mermaid" and it is one of the most ridiculous things Ive ever watched and I can not stop

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:07 am

cow-boy_be-bop wrote:So I just started up "My bride is a Mermaid" and it is one of the most ridiculous things Ive ever watched and I can not stop

Those were my sentiments pretty much as well lol.

As for me this "season" I've only been able to keep up with 3 shows. Testament of Sister New Devil (bewbs!), Death Parade, and Assassination Classroom. Enjoying all 3 actually. Out of them Death Parade would be my favorite. Love that opening heh. Crista and I recently marathoned Elfen Lied as she had never seen it before. It had been a few years for me as well. I just got the new BR set with the OVA so I figured why not. Was just as enjoyable all these years later. Right now I'm finishing up Freezing (holy shit this show has some S&M vibes to it, and bewbs) on my own and we're watching Antique Bakery together. While enjoyable the show has so far by episode 4 done not so much with actual baking or running a cake shop as opposed to the Yaoi elements. I mean they didn't even give any sort of hint to the Yaoi bits based on the synopsis and description. Boy is it there in spades lol.

doug19992000

Postby doug19992000 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:04 am

Been meaning to watch Elfen Lied again myself, but I have a bit of a backlog due to my PS3 malfunctioning. Bought a new one since it cost as much as getting it fixed. The first series I watched was Watamote, which is something I wanted to watch since my PS3 went down back in December. Liking the show so far. Some of the things that Kuroki does are hilarious even if they remind me of myself sometimes.

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:31 am

So some time ago i caught up Failruto ShitPooDamn and the end of the show up til this filler arc was actually fairly good. Still it wasn't worth treading through the entire thing to do so.

SO after waiting over a year, which is what i do to watch this show, i decided to catch up on ONE PIECE. They haaaaaad to finish the arc by then right? NOOOOOOOOO 60+ episodes of pure bliss ended in the middle of the arc with badass stuff happening in godlike ways, and now i have to WAIT to finish it? Dang.

So now i guess start Series 2 of Fairy Tail.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Watamote is one I keep meaning to purchase and watch. Yet whenever sales come up I forget and get other titles instead. I need to rectify that soon.

A Mystery

Postby A Mystery » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:40 pm

You should purchase it.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:12 pm

Dragon Ball Super. The first episode of the first Dragon Ball anime to air in 18 years and it's that feeling you have seeing an old friend you haven't seen in ages and when you spend time catching up with them it's like they never left. The setting for the anime, at least in the first few episodes, looks like it takes place between Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return! and Battle of Gods. If you haven't watched it yet, definitely find some way to watch it.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:51 am

Finished watching a series called Strange+. The episodes were only 3 minutes long...and in some cases that was 3 minutes too long. Overall the jokes weren't clever enough to generate laughs. I presume the writers were trying to be absurd but they missed the mark a lot. I gave it a 4/10.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:53 am

Watched the Expelled from Paradise movie. While nothing mind blowing it was a fun movie. The visuals were quite nice I thought. The dub track was actually pretty good as well. Next up, my special BD limited edition Bubblegum Crisis dvds I just got in the mail a short time ago. I missed the kick starter but still got me a set from Animego.

Return to “Anime”