What are you watching?

Area to discuss all things anime related.
classicalzawa

Re: What are you watching?

Postby classicalzawa » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:47 am

Finished my Digimon set! It only took me two days :oops: possibly my biggest marathon. I mean, sure I watched all of TTGL in two days, but I didn't then immediately watch another 26 ep series the very next day.
Man, this was a nostalgic journey, it was so much fun! I notice things differently marathoning it than seeing it two eps a day on weekdays as a kid. I still remember eagerly coming home in time for Digimon at 4pm! But now I notice stuff like pacing, it's really good. Always a scene for either plot or a slower scene for characters. Granted, I felt like some things took seemingly forever as a kid, but of course, there are no commercials now either. Like the height of the Myotismon arc, I though that took forever as a kid, but it was really pretty much one episode. Not to say it felt rushed, I thought everything got done.
I still adore Izzy the most for sure. I mean, he's a nerdy hero! This and Sly Cooper got me thinking how The Smart Guy often gets either as many lines as The Hero overall or pretty damn close (I think Bentley got more lines in the Sly games for sure), so you always get plenty of The Smart Guy. But Izzy is so awesome! I do prefer Gomamon as a Digimon, Joe is also a fav. But Gomamon feels like he has the most personality out of the Digimon (I think Biyomon has the least), and it's a personality opposite of Joe's, which is kinda awesome. So, as Gomamon, his attack is Marching Fishes, where fishes come out of hammerspace, so like Aquaman but awesome. Then as Zudomon, he's practically broken, so that's cool.
So it was a lot of fun revisiting the show and old favorites. I did revisit it back in high school 5+ years ago, so it's not as distant in my mind as it might be for others, of course, it made it easier to know I wanted to buy it too. I really want to show it to my nephew, though I wonder if the slower scenes might "bore" him, after all, he doesn't like Avatar: TLA, that has plenty of slow moments. But he likes the movie, which is incomprehensible garbage. But he likes Adventure Time, that's a slower paced show. I think it's worth a shot. Just hope that if he does like it, he doesn't ask for any toys, they don't exactly make them anymore... Anyway, it's just a fun show and it makes me crave more of them. I know I'll rewatch my DVDs again, I've watched my Avatar: TLA DVDs at least 3 times. Somehow, all those anime I keep saying I'll rewatch and never do (like Planetes), vs those that I do rewatch, I tend to want to rewatch adventure stuff. Haven't seen Outlaw Star in a while, but I'm slowly rewatching it now. I've seen Robotech a fair number of times. So yeah, my next step is to check out more fun adventure series! With character development and stuff!

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:27 am

I don't know what got into me but I watched the first episode of "Girls Und Panzer". It's probably the same impulse which made me watch the Strike Witches pilot film. I think I watched the whole episode because I just wanted to see the tanks. Regarding mixing military hardware and teens: [spoiler]The rah-rah recruiting/propaganda clip in the show reminded me, somewhat uncomfortably, of a show I had watched about the Japanese recruiting teen pilots during the Pacific War. This show was much more superficial (drive a tank and get boys) but for me it pushed into the discomforting zone of child soldiers.[/spoiler]
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:36 pm

This story about uncovering and defusing a WWII era bomb in Tokyo came up today: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20121022a7.html. It's kind of an odd coincidence for me as I had watched the anime movie "The Glass Rabbit" (ガラスのうさぎ) which takes place during the war. The central character in the story lived in Tokyo and the US bombing of the city during the war plays an important part of the film. As for the film itself, it's not bad. It sort of has an odd "look and feel" to it as it was made in 2005 but resembles something one would have come across in the late 1970s or early 1980s. I suppose the retro hand drawn and coloured art style could of have been the result of budgetary constraints.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:14 am

So, have I mentioned I finally watched Haibane Renmei? Well, I did. Soooooo beautiful, from the story, to the character development and relationships, not to mention the artwork and sound/music. I'm sure you all already know that though - since it takes me so long to watch anything. Well worth the wait, and definitely one I would watch again.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:51 am

Sentire wrote:So, have I mentioned I finally watched Haibane Renmei?

It's about time. ;)
Glad to see you enjoyed it. I watched it so long ago I don't remember when but every now and then I'd haul it out and watch parts of it again, especially the first episode.

I've been watching a somewhat ridiculous time waster: GIRLS und PANZER. For me it has a vibe similar to Strike Witches...except it's not that far of a stretch of the imagination, though it is quite a stretch nonetheless. Frankly speaking I just like watching the tanks rumble around. Oh yeah, I believe the carrier bears a decent resemblance to the [spoiler]WWII Japanese Shokaku class carriers[/spoiler]. Yeah, I'm a bit of a WWII tanks, planes and ships junky.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Has anyone watched Natsuyuki Rendezvous? I'm sorry if you mentioned and I missed it, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen it and what they thought. The story seems like it will be quite touching and heartfelt. The artwork looks beautiful... not sure about the actual animation yet. I have had this one in my Crunchyroll queue, and think I'll start this one next.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:34 am

I really liked it, but it goes nowhere during the middle portion. The ending made up for things though. It's a mature and likable romance with flaws, but is great overall.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:28 am

Thanks Chris. Have you seen Natsume Yuujinchou? If so, which would you say is better?

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:51 am

Natsume is the better show, but they have very different feels to them. I still recommend it big time :)

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:35 pm

The latest episode of Girls und Panzer was quite interesting. A big game changing bomb of a fact was dropped on the cast. This is in addition to the tight situation our plucky little heroines have literally charged into.

I'm still getting a tickle out of the ships in this series (a bit odd considering it's about tanks). Latest one which had me smiling was a ferry modeled after the 19th century Japanese armoured cruiser Matsushima. Yes, I have an unbuilt kit of that ship in my stash back in Canada.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:47 am

Watched the first episode of Ishida and Asakura yesterday. That was so random and insane! Was honest to gawd laughing out loud by the end of its two minute run.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Other things I've watched a bit of: 1) Guda Guda Yosei (I guess I'd translate that as "Unstable Fairies"). This is not a show to be taken seriously. I think they're running the second season now as the first show harped on it a bit at the beginning. It's not as ridiculous as Asakura & Ishida...but not that far off. The animation is quite "cheap". The whole thing looks like it was done to make it look like it was made with Poser (a 3D figure software package). On the other hand, maybe they did use Poser. Mercifully the episodes are quite short. 2) Yama no Susume. Another show with a short run time for each episode (3 minutes). It's a much more down to earth show about hiking/mountain climbing. The basic premise is the trials and tribulations of the main character who tries (a bit reluctantly) to connect with her past self who loved hiking up mountains. A tad bit "moe" but still amusing enough.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:43 am

So both dccs (our newest member and my friend from work) and I watched Ouran High School Host Club. We watched around six episodes on Saturday night. She came over and we started by making fajitas/tacos, along with cilantro/lime rice. Then we had to decide on what series to watch, since she is new to anime. She likes comedies in general, but I haven't seen to many.... but Ouran High School Host Club was on my "to watch" list, so we gave it a shot.

Lo and behold, she did a marathon session on Sunday, and finished all 26 episodes! Apparently, we picked a winner. I'm only up to episode 19, but I am enjoying it. There are quite a number of similarities to "Special A". Sean and I recommended she try "The Wallflower", along with "Skip Beat", "Ramen Fighter Miki", and "Itazaru no Kiss". "School Rumble" may be another good one for her as well. She already said to me that I'm probably going to get her addicted to anime (yippee!). I broached the subject of her joining us for Otakon this year, and she sounds interested.

If anyone has any good comedy recommendations, please share! She's not going to be interested in something that is all panties and cleavage.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:03 pm

Yokoyama, the guy who runs Farain, my usual watering hole, has the TV locked solidly on Animax. Stuff I've been watching (but not too closely) whilst enjoying a few drinks:
Jo-Jo's Bizarre Adventure: There's enough action to distract me from my drink. It's an interesting looking show. I checked the Wiki entry to get an idea of what was going on.
Baki the Grappler: Another case of enough action to distract me. Not enough of a story to distract me completely.
City Hunter 91: Yes, it looks dated. And its comedy is way over the top. I glimpse at it from time to time to take in the 1990s anime gals.
Tamako Market: The voice of the main character is annoying...in a bar. I wish this one was aired before the bar opens.
Detective Conan: A bit too much to follow in a bar.
Lupin III: I glance at this one from time to time.
Hunter X Hunter: 30 minutes where I don't look at the TV.
Gundam Seed: Too much sturm and dang(sic) but I was caught staring at the screen for the last episode.
MaoYuu: ...or was it the other way around. Corner of my eye series.
Guin Saga: Another corner of my eye series. If there aren't any other customers in the bar I can actually catch some of the dialogue.
Kochi-Kame: Sorry, the full name of this series is too long to recall right now. Gag and comedy series. I glimpse at it from time to time.
AKB0048: It's usually over before I order my first drink. It was on once and I thought to myself "What the heck is THAT!?!".
Tiger and Bunny: Almost good enough to distract me completely from my drink.

doug19992000

Postby doug19992000 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:47 pm

Mouse. Yeah, that Mouse. The art looks likes it came from a how-to draw anime book.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:20 am

I used to love any anime I watched when I first started. Not Mouse. No.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:06 pm

Ok what is up with all the weird shows this season? Everything is bizarre, over the top, creepy, and mysterious.

Aku no Hana - oooh how unsettling. So much better compared to the manga. I hope the series continues to make my skin crawl. Dat ending song! Also, people need to get over the art style.

Karneval - Hey that was a lot of fun and had a really cool atmosphere. Very entertaining super spy adventure. I wasn't expecting much at all, but this kinda reminds me of some of the really cool Saturday morning cartoons I would watch as a kid.

Red Data Girl - uhhh what's going on? It's like a weird mix of a medieval fairy tale and a modern day coming of age tale. I am very confused but very interested. Really good characters.

Devil Summoner 2 - It's nice seeing the game come to life, but it wasn't as fun as the other series. Not sure if I will stick with this one.

Crime Edge - Really cool ideas, but I'm not sure they are being executed very well. I'm feeling the show, but just barely. Hopefully it gets better because I was really looking forward to this.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm not sure if one would add Sengeki no Kyojin to the list of "bizarre, over the top, creepy, and mysterious". I sort of watched it. Skipped over bits and pieces which didn't hold my interest. The last scene in the first episode probably fits in the category of "creepy".

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:50 pm

chrisb wrote:I used to love any anime I watched when I first started. Not Mouse. No.

I still got it lol. Along with Amazing Nurse Naneko, Eiken, and THAT Colorful dvd. I did burn, literally, my copy of Angel Cop though.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:15 am

I watched a collection of shorts packaged under the title of "Digital Juice". It was a hit and miss affair. When I went to MAL to update my anime list, I found out I had watched it three years ago. It obviously didn't make much of an impression on me back then. :lol:

Return to “Anime”