Pairings

Area to discuss all things anime related.
Littlewolf

Pairings

Postby Littlewolf » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:41 pm

Time to Fangirl! (Or Fanboy if you're so inclined) I didn't see a thread like this already, so if there is one... just point me in the right direction and ignore this... :lol:

As much as I try to hold it in, I am hit with these horrible fits that throw me back to my pre-teen/high school years where I squeal and go "kyaa!" and start proclaiming my favorite pairings of anime and manga with *insert pairing* FOREVER! It also usually leaves me broke because I have the nasty habit of buying doujinshi with whatever pairings hit my fancy.

So, with what anime and manga has to offer, what are your favorite pairings of all time. They don't have to be "officially together" as a couple, you can just be rooting for them, etc.

Sakura X Syaoran: Card Captor Sakura
The CLAMP nutters gave what I consider the most cutest couple in existence, even if they are little kids. It was made so cute I think by the fact that Syaoran started out very adamant to hate Sakura because she was collecting the cards, while Sakura started to think of him as a rival for Yukito. I would kyaa many a time at Syaoran's awkward little blushes popping out of no-where, or how Sakura was completely oblivious to the very idea, going off and saying or doing random things not helping the situation. Then there was Touya, Sakura's older brother, hating Syaoran from the start, not trusting him around his sister that brought up many more cute moments, and well, in the end, I just love reading/watching the two. Leaves me all warm and tingly inside with a giant grin on my face, reminiscent to what it was like watching you favorite Disney movie at a young age. The 2nd CCS movie is one of my all time favorites.

That said, I didn't at all much like Tsubasa RC. The Syaoran and Sakura are so different from CCS that I'm just not getting the same old fangirly moments I used to get from the two, but I suppose it's only to be expected because they are parallel universe versions of the duo.

Loki X Mayura - Mythical Detective Loki
I'm a HUGE Mythology buff. If there's an anime out there with any sort of mythological references, I'm there. If it's an anime that focuses on Norse Mythology, I'm buying everything I can. Loki as a mythological figure has always been my numero uno when it comes to the gods out there, so when I found this anime/manga, I was hooked with no hope of ever getting away. The series, I was happy to see, opted to take the more understanding, empathetic route with Loki than the "he's the Norse Satan!" The series made him into what I always saw him as: a playboy too smart for his own good. He also takes a prank too far leaving him banished to earth in the body of a child. Pair him off with a mystery/supernatural obsessive high school girl with no idea as to his real identity, and it creates an interesting dynamic. It borders on Shouta since Loki is stuck in a child's body, but Mayura maintains a platonic relationship. I love their interactions, and how Loki slowly began to realize he was actually becoming rather attached to the weird girl, so much to the point he sacrificed his immortality in the end of the manga to stay with her. I love the pair, but that could also be because in mythology, I've always thought some of the best stories were the ones where a mortal and god got into a relationship. Never really ended well, but still made for some great love stories.

Sakura X Sasuke
- Naruto
This is a pairing I love that hit me out of no-where. I HATED Sakura at the beginning of Naruto, and never really much cared for Sasuke. Her obsession over the boy I found annoying, especially with how useless she always was, and Sasuke was... well he was the Emo-King! Again, not things I love with characters. But the girl really grew on me as the series progressed. She suddenly realized she shouldn't be so boy crazy, and to take her path in life a bit more seriously to improve herself. Sasuke continued to be an annoying ass, but the few moments they had together were rather cute. And then he left, and Sakura totally spewed her heart out to him. I consider that confession one of the best in anime, even if Sasuke was already aware of her feelings. Course as we all know the bastard left, and she blames herself for not being able to keep him there, but she's working to improve herself so she can bring him back home. Sakura's one-sided crush seems to have matured quite a bit from the annoying fangirl-crush, and she's worked so hard for it that I cheer her on in hopes that one day she'll get what she wants. Course he's an emotionless bastard, but Sakura deserves him after what she's worked towards!

Though, I love a good tragedy. I wouldn't say no to having what little bit of relationship they have end horrifically. I like my Ninja-drama. :twisted:

Anyone else have some faves?
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Zanarkand Princess

Re: Pairings

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:37 pm

Sorry Littlewolf I can't stand Sakura and Sasuke. He's one of my favorite characters and she's one of my least favorite. In other words... he's too good for her :lol:
But I do fangirl over Mayura and Loki.
But I like this topic. Maybe it can be the topic of the next tournament?

As for my favorite pairings, I'll start with a couple no one ever thinks of

Maya X Nagi: Tenjou Tenge
Despite her annoying sister being played by one of my favorite Seiyuu I always thought this was a good couple. It seemed like the more the got to know each other. Sure it seemed to be a one sided love but I think
that it could have worked out.

Usagi X Mamoru
I'm putting this here because it was probably my first favorite pairing.
Neither of these two go into my favorite character list but they belong together, if anything the series does a good job of convincing you of that.

Naruto X Hinata
I love these two. They are really cute and I love how Hinata is always trying to protect him from afar even though he remains clueless (until recently anyway.) He gives her a lot of hope and he always cheers her on.
I find her one the most sympathetic characters especially because she tries to make her self better instead of just settling with things.

I'm sure I'll think of more of these because I love lots of couples.

Saki

Postby Saki » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:10 am

Zanarkand Princess wrote:Sorry Littlewolf I can't stand Sakura and Sasuke. He's one of my favorite characters and she's one of my least favorite. In other words... he's too good for her :lol:

Meh. Everyone knows I hate Sasu(bo)ke and Sakura is a whiny little idiot. I'd rather pair her up with Lee because he deserves to have the girl he loves.

Zanarkand Princess wrote:Naruto X Hinata
I love these two. They are really cute and I love how Hinata is always trying to protect him from afar even though he remains clueless (until recently anyway.) He gives her a lot of hope and he always cheers her on.
I find her one the most sympathetic characters especially because she tries to make her self better instead of just settling with things.

I'm sure I'll think of more of these because I love lots of couples.

I totally agree. Hinata actually tries to be better for him. That's why I like her a lot.

My turn.

Hyuga Kojiro and Akamine Maki (Captain Tsubasa)

Who the hell said that couples should only be romantic? I've always had a weak spot for friendship couples, and this one is a really good one. Hyuga-kun's one mean, lean, football machine, but Maki wasn't scared of him and even scolded him. The scene in the manga where [spoiler=]she takes Hyuga's Coca-Cola bottles and spills them riht in front of his eyes[/spoiler] is simply priceless. And even so, maybe, MAYBE she has a crush on him. But honestly, I like them as friends.

Kurosaki Ichigo and Kuchiki Rukia (Bleach)

Another couple I like because they're not a real couple. They fight, they bicker, they laugh, they fight... All together as friends. Yeah, it's true the Deathberry didn't hesitate in rescue her, but that doesn't mean there are real feelings in between. And as Kubo Tite said, he doesn't want to turn this story into something romantic. W00t!
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:08 pm

Oi! Sakura is not a whiny idiot anymore!! She USED to be, but she's always been smart! *nods reassurinly to herself*. I love the personality Sakura is now, she's developed so much mentally as well as in skills and strength. Sasuke will always be a boring Emo to me without much of a personality, with one liner sentences and grunts. I willl however be laughing my butt off in the end if Sakura ends up with Lee.

I'm warming up to the idea of Naruto and Hinata, but that was only after that major Hinata ... THING in a recent chapter. She's always been so... cliche bland, typical shy Japanese girl to me without much of a personality - a type of character that has never appealed to me, but then again she hasn't had much of a chance to expand, but I'll be happy if we get more of a focus on her so she can develop more. The faints can only be entertaining for so long!

If we're gonna play about Naruto characters deserving their crushes... Naruto X Sakura!! Mainly just joking there. I think their relationship has developed more into a brother/sister bond than a romantic one at this point. So yay Naruto X Hinata!

I always liked the idea of Ichigo X Rukia, but I'm glad they aren't making a romance out of the story. I'm already having problems enough with where Bleach has gone, but I'll still like to consider my two fave characters together.

Hehe, Usagi and Mamoru. Oh does that bring back memories. Same here with them not being my favorite characters, but they were oh so cute. Still.. I think Mamo-chan was too good for Usagi.
Last edited by Littlewolf on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:13 pm

Saki wrote:Kurosaki Ichigo and Kuchiki Rukia (Bleach)

Another couple I like because they're not a real couple. They fight, they bicker, they laugh, they fight... All together as friends. Yeah, it's true the Deathberry didn't hesitate in rescue her, but that doesn't mean there are real feelings in between. And as Kubo Tite said, he doesn't want to turn this story into something romantic. W00t!

Don't you mean Ichigo Kurosaki and Rukia Kuchiki? :P

Anyway, I also like this pairing for the same reasons, especially when Ichigo gives Rukia "constructive criticism" on her "masterpiece" artwork. It's just hilarious but at the same time, I really think that Tite Kubo does need to make this pairing official. Let Orihime have Uryu. :P

Rangiku Matsumoto and Toshiro Hitsugaya

Another Bleach pairing that really does seem unlikely giving the "age factor" but I don't see why the captain of Squad 10 couldn't fall or his lieutenant or vice versa.

Lelouch Lamperouge and the majority of the female cast of Code Geass

"I, Lelouch vi Britannia, command you, SLEEP WITH ME!" :lol: The only person he wouldn't have to do that to would have to be Shirley because of how much of a crush she has on her Lulu. Well, her and C.C. maybe. :lol:

Villetta Nu and Kaname Ohgi

Where I am in the series (episode 15 of R2), [spoiler]this one appears to be yet another Romeo and Juliet-like love story where one (or maybe both) of the lovers meets an untimely end, but that remains to be seen. :cry:[/spoiler]

Vash the Stampede and Milly Thompson

I know, this isn't the right pairing, but I like it. I think those two would be a really good couple. They're both silly, have a thing for sweets, and are just good people to be around. :D

EDIT: Why aren't the spoiler tags working?
Last edited by freezespell on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:08 pm

freezespell wrote:
EDIT: Why aren't the spoiler tags working?

EH?! Oh no... I think Hello Kitty killed them! *goes back to delete her Naruto spoiler*

Millie and Vash? They are pretty similar now that you mention it, but I really did adore her with Wolfwood. It's been so long since I've seen the series, so I can't recall the details as to why. :( I need to re-watch Trigun.

Dorcas_Aurelia

Postby Dorcas_Aurelia » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:38 am

Ryuuhei Mido and Elfriede from Moon Phase.

Since they are a bit older, they have a degree of maturity that you rarely see in anime, while still often displaying a silly playfulness.
My dream is to hold a baby tiger, getting scared about it, and running away in fear.
It's a dream of failure. -Miyako

Saki

Postby Saki » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:58 am

freezespell wrote:
Saki wrote:Kurosaki Ichigo and Kuchiki Rukia (Bleach)

Don't you mean Ichigo Kurosaki and Rukia Kuchiki? :P

郷に入っては郷に従え.

Surnames before names. That's how they use it. That's how I use it.
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:57 am

I'm not big on yaoi but I love gravitation so

Tohma Seguichi X Yuki Eri
No it has nothing to do with the fact that my friend made me read her remix doujins :roll: (how did you even get a hold of those in America!?) I just think that this half way couple is cute. Tohma would leave Yuki's sister any day for him. That's terrible isn't it?

Oh and one from Final Fantasy
Tidus X Rikku
The best couple that could have happened.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:15 pm

Zanarkand Princess wrote:I'm not big on yaoi but I love gravitation so

Tohma Seguichi X Yuki Eri
No it has nothing to do with the fact that my friend made me read her remix doujins :roll: (how did you even get a hold of those in America!?) I just think that this half way couple is cute. Tohma would leave Yuki's sister any day for him. That's terrible isn't it?

Oh and one from Final Fantasy
Tidus X Rikku
The best couple that could have happened.

Ah, doujinshi. You work so hard to get ahold of them, yet somehow they're oh so worth it. I really should try cutting down on my pile, but it's an addiction!

Gravitation was the only shonen-ai I can recall ever liking, and I recall liking Tohma more so than Shuichi.. Yuki was always just yummy no matter what guy/girl he was looking at.

All I can think about Tidus X Rikku is how off the wall ADD any kids they would have would be.

Hmm, I think I might actually use a lot of these pairings for a music video. I've been wanting to make one for a convention this summer, and now I'm inspired. I'll need to try and think of every "classic" anime couple there is now for it.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:48 pm

I've made a few video's myself. Mostly FF though because I have an obsession with FF pairings for some odd reason.
and I recall liking Tohma more so than Shuichi.. Yuki was always just yummy no matter what guy/girl he was looking at.

Exactly what I think. I could even get past that stupid girl who ended up liking Hiro anyway because it was Yuki.
Plus my friend and I like to joke
[spoiler]10 dollars! Seriously, you could have got more then that for Yuki, he's worth more then that![/spoiler]
Last edited by Zanarkand Princess on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:15 pm

Okay... here's another vote for:
Naruto & Hinata
Sakura & Sasuke
Ryuuhei Mido & Elfriede
(same reason as suggested by Dorcas)

Here are some of my favorite pairings, in no particular order:
Ef – A tale of memories: Asou Renji and Shindou Chihiro
There is such a sweetness between them, it’s plain adorable.

Kure-nai: Kurenai Shinkurou and Kuhouin Murasaki
I know Murasaki is too young to think of this relationship in a romantic sense… but there is a beautiful bond between these two.

Rental Majica: Iba Itsuki and Ambler Takase Honami
Honami is so hardworking. She amazes me. There definitely is quite a strong friendship here. I think she understands him better than anyone.

Karin: Maaka Karin and Usui Kenta
Friendship, attraction, blood… what more can you ask for in a relationship?

School Rumble: Tsukamoto Tenma and Harima Kenji
These two together always make me laugh. They are similar enough to understand one another, but different enough to keep it interesting.

Story of Saiunkoku: Shi Ryuuki and Kou Shuurei
Shuurei is a strong woman. She brings out the best in Ryuuki… but I also believe he brings out the best in her as well – he gives her the opportunity to shine and become the best that she can.

Truered

Postby Truered » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:57 am

I generally don't have much opinion towards pairings, but ever since Azumanga daioh I've always liked Sakaki X Kaorin

I just find it cute :oops:

edit: Oh and I also happen to like the idea of Lelouch and C.C.

Two slightly lost souls who can help one another :3
Image Image Image

Past

Postby Past » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Usually when I think of pairings they'll be a couple unlikely to be in a relationship that could be canon to the original story. So for example instead of pairing Ranma and Akane, I'd pair Akane and Ryoga. Or even better Ranma and Ryoga :lol:

But I've been watching Comic Party lately and the two who I'd think make a cute couple are Yuu and Kazuki.
In Soviet Russia; witches strike you!Image

Zalis116

Postby Zalis116 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:34 am

Past wrote:Usually when I think of pairings they'll be a couple unlikely to be in a relationship that could be canon to the original story.

Same here, the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title was, "Fullmetal Alchemist, Winry X Schiezka. Their meeting was by chance, their friendship was more unlikely, they travel together and go through some dangerous situations... I'd say there's plenty of potential for a little something going on between those two :evil:

Past

Postby Past » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:35 am

How about in Scrapped Princess, what pairings would you like to see Zalis, besides the obvious like Pacifica and Leo? Also what girlXgirl pairing do you think would be nice from that show? I myself can't decide, maybe Winia and

Hunter X Hunter: Curapika and Leorio: although they do spend a lot of time together in the show they never really show the extent of their relationship, but I think they make a cute couple.
In Soviet Russia; witches strike you!Image

Return to “Anime”