The old school line

Area to discuss all things anime related.
Viga

The old school line

Postby Viga » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:47 pm

A question to everyone:

What amount of time do you think it takes to make an anime "old school?"

In other words, personally, where you you draw the line at old school and new school?

When I think old school I instantly think 60's - late 80's. But a lot of people consider things from the 90's old school in 2009. Heck, people think a show from 2 years ago is old nowadays. It's hard for me to think that way because that would mean everything I loved, still love and once obsessed over is 15-20 years old soon.

23 is too young to be an anime geezer!

Zanarkand Princess

Re: The old school line

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:53 pm

I'll give you the same answer I did on ANN
If a show was made before a joke about it involving "It's over 9000" could be made then it's old school. Another is if the show is too old to have had fan art with the main female character dressing up as Rei Ayanami.

It can then be considered old school. If a show has a Excel Saga parody then it is not old school. Though I think some fans my age have a much different criteria I've been watching anime since I was three so I don't group myself with this wave of narutards or pokefreaks or whatever they are.

Saki

Postby Saki » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:44 am

I guess it depends on the quality and the "feel" of the series. To me, some series made in the 90's aren't old-school, unless they're old-school series remakes (like Captain Tsubasa J, remake and sequel to the original CT).
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:01 am

Yeah, I guess I could see the '80s being a good cut off, it's before the boom/bubble, but not so long ago that anime didn't exist in the US. (Yeah, I know, that's such an American way of looking at things...) Now should "old school" be considered synonymous with "classic"? For me anything old (within certain reason) can be old school, but only something respectable or popular should be called a classic.

Man, when I think about it, I watched anime unknowingly from '85 to '91, that's 24 years now. A lot of anime fans today aren't even that old...

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

braves

Postby braves » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:03 pm

I generally consider everything that's been made on a cel as old school. But if I wanted to be more specific, I'd say that Eva marks the end of old school anime.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:16 am

^ Interestingly Evangelion was the last series I bought any episodes of on laser disc. ADV released two LDs (8 episodes in total) before they stopped. I believe they released the whole series on VHS. The DVDs followed a while later. Therefore for the longest of time my Evangelion DVD collection didn't have the first two volumes. I eventually unloaded them and purchased the "platinum" thin pack collection.

Anyways, if I were to draw the line on "old school" and "new school" it would be around that time frame. That time period was also when "Blue Submarine No. 6" was released. It was the first example I encountered of anime where a lot of CG was mixed in with traditional hand drawn style animation.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

dargonxtc

Postby dargonxtc » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:38 pm

If you're talking technically, then I would say anything over a little less than half a generation. Or about ten years.

Personally the line I draw is when character designs hit their modern incarnation. So somewhere in between 95 and 96. Another line I would draw would be when digital ink became prevalent, it's been around since 89, but didn't really take off until around the same time as the character designs changed. So somewhere in between those two years, maybe 97.

And for me that is probably where the line will stay, even another half generation from now. Unless there are more major changes then I will consider moving the line. Like say, all anime will look like Pixar, or Appleseed. Then I will call the current stuff old school.

Oh, and the stuff before 79, I consider that really old school.

See the levels folks.

Return to “Anime”