Anything interesting going on in the anime industry?

Area to discuss all things anime related.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Re: Anything interesting going on in the anime industry?

Postby d.yaro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:51 am

^ $29.99 for an LE box set eh? Wow. Don't know if I'd bite though. That was one show I got to about the third episode and then got distracted from it. Never did get back to it. Someday I suppose...
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:52 am

The first few episodes are... decent. In fact the show doesn't get good until episode 7 and then it turns into something dark, beautiful and disturbing at episode 13 and keep that quality until the very end.

I am an Utena fanboy but ask anyone who has seen the show and they will tell you that it is worth watching til the end ;)

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:48 pm

Kaiba is due to be released in R4. As excited as I am, it cannot be denied that the Australian dollar is somewhat overvalued.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:03 am

Lucky Australia :(

As much as the series fell apart at the end, I'd still love to own it!

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Scooped this off of MAL:

MAL News wrote:According to ASCII.jp, the former executive director of Madhouse Studios, Masuda Hiromichi said the fansubs and the shift of the worldwide trend toward 3D anime have become the major obstacles for Japanese anime producers to establish a business model outside Japan.

1. Even Naruto cannot make money
The most successful case of the exported anime was Pocket Monster. It had made huge sales in the early 2000's but most of the profits were from the character goods and the games. As for Naruto's case, the main merchandise are the video media. But most the people get satisfied with watching the free videos and never spend money on the DVD. The popularity of Japanese anime has still been rising but the overseas sales of anime in 2009 have dropped by 51% compared to 2006.

2. Small-sized producers are helpless against fansubs
It's impossible to carry out a thorough legal action against unauthorized streaming and file sharing. The yearly sales of a Japanese major anime company are almost equal to Walt Disney's yearly expenses on anti-piracy measures.

3. Cooperation with Crunchyroll didn't work well
We did try to go along with fansub groups by making a contract with Crunchyroll. We had expected Crunchyroll to take actions against unauthorized sharing but they couldn't. They are also small-sized company as we are. Many of the titles are simply incompatible with the simulcast because the production of each TV episode usually completes just before the airing time in Japan.

4. "Fansub as free publicity" is unreal
There is an idea that Japanese anime producers can take fansubs as free PR methods and can make money by selling goods instead of DVDs. But it's not a simple business to sell official goods overseas: the license contracts and the establishment of the sales channels take more time and energy than the sales of the video media. In the meantime, pirated goods appear and dominate. Moreover, the goods market of the core-fan-oriented anime is way smaller than that of kids anime. We have to rely on the video media business, which conflict with the free fansubs without a doubt.

5. 2D anime is getting obsolete
Hollywood has fully adopted the 3D anime technology. The demand for the 2D anime won't grow anymore. The mass-production of 3D anime is no match for the inefficient production of 2D anime.

My read on this: anime production companies can scrape by in Japan these days but the odds of making money outside of Japan are pretty well zero.

braves

Postby braves » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:23 pm

I'd like to see where exactly is this demand for 3D anime which apparently Hollywood has adopted. MaybeI'm missing something here. I know Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children was a huge hit, but that's because it was FF VII (and it wasn't funded by Hollywood. Unlike, say, The Spirits Within-- and that didn't even have the stereotypical anime look).

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:06 am

Personally, I think 3D visual entertainment is a big bandwagon Hollywood is scrambling to get onto. The fact that home TV manufacturers are starting to promote 3D units is a signal of how pervasive the hoopla is. Overall, 3D visual entertainment could be the "talkies" revolution of today. Or the situation could turn out like the digital versus analogue audio media paradigm where the two types of visual entertainment co-exist.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:02 am

FUNIMATION I LOVE YOU!!!

But 2012 is so far away... :(

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:33 am

chrisb wrote:FUNIMATION I LOVE YOU!!!

You talkin' about Panty & Stocking? Hell yeah.
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

braves

Postby braves » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:26 pm

I'll be picking it up...if it's on Blu-ray. Otherwise, I don't feel obligated to buy an less release of a show that I already enjoyed through legal means. They didn't mention Blu-ray on their PR, so I imagine they don't have those rights as of now.

I'm nowhere near as exicited as everybody else seems to be about the potential dub, given that a lot of the jokes depend on the fact that these curse words are being uttered by high-pitched, cute Japanese voices. That aside, it's not so funny how people are saying that FUNimation should "re-write" the show. Ugh.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:21 am

What a mixed day. First I read about FUNi announcing their "C" simulcast (oh, and that other show got licensed), then we learn that Tokyopop is out of the manga publishing biz (so I'll probably never get the third .hack//G.U. light novel :( ), and then we learn that NISA picked up both Arakawa Under the Bridge and Katanagatari, both as DVD/Blu-Ray combo packs. The Tokyopop news was pretty sad since I've been following them since their Mixx days, but the only things I've really bought from them lately is their .hack offerings. It's nice to see NISA jumping in with BD releases so early in the game, but they've probably got an advantage since they already got the equipment available for pressing PS3 games.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:43 am

Thank you Sentai for licensing Ikoku Meiro Croisee! I have way too much anime on my plate and now I can just buy the release when it comes to the US.

choski2

Postby choski2 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:40 am

No more Tokyopop manga? :( I remember their Mixx days too.. I still want to try their release of Graduation for the PC.

braves

Postby braves » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Masao Maruyama announced he founded a new studio called Mappa. He couldn't finish Kon's last movie or make certain projects at Madhouse anymore due to the financial situation, so he had to set up a separate studio to do so (even if he did say that he wants both studios to compliment each other). 600 cuts have been finished for Dreaming Machine, but 900 have yet to be finished. He has yet to come up with the financing necessary to finish Kon's work, so it'll be a long time before we ever see it. Here's the transcript:
10:20:29 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> Q: Status of dreaming machine by Satoshi Kon? Anything you'd like to say about it?
10:21:10 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> A: Well, that question was one of the reasons was one of the reasons i was reluctant to return, but i knew it was a question i would have to answer so i gathred my courage to come here and answer it
10:21:22 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> To be blunt, the project is on hiatus
10:21:43 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> But I do want to go ahead with Dreaming machine, that's why I have my new studio now
10:22:13 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> And the biggest reason why dreaming machine is on hiatus is there isn't enough financing for the title
10:22:27 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> i don't care how many years it's going to take, i will get the financing required to complete the title
10:22:36 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> And currently, about 600 cuts of the film has been done
10:22:40 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> But there's still about 900 cuts to go
10:22:46 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> so most of the film hasn't been produced
10:23:08 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> And I haven't really talked about what he film is about but I think I can talk about it today
10:23:39 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> There's a tsunami scene at the very beginning ,and a whole town perishes... and the robot starts its journey seeking a seeking energy
10:23:45 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> this is an original story that satoshi kon came up with it 2 years ago
10:24:05 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> and reality has finally caught up to the visions of satoshi knon and it happen in japan this year
10:24:22 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> I'm starting to think that certain creators do have the ability to see what's coming in the future
10:25:05 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> And so, Kon's film is how a town recovers from a tsunami disaster
10:25:29 <bay|Ota|Maruyama> I think it would be a loss to not finish this film, but no matter how many years it will take, i will seek full financing for the film and deliver it to an audience

Reading the plot makes me ever more eager to watch this film. Even with the troubled production of the film, I do have faith that Maruyama can pull through.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:54 pm

^Aww, man, shame to hear it's been delayed, but I think it'll get done. Eventually. The question i how close to Kon's original idea it'll be, hopefully very close.

Anyway, I read this over at ANN and went "Uwaaa?" Tuxedo Gin was one of my earliest manga and sure I think the manga has problems (like being too long and having somewhat low re-read value) but no, this is just...such a bad idea to put it bluntly, lol. Thing is, I also doubt that it'll get the manga more attention either, at least Last Airbender gave more attention to the...well I can't give a number "X" for how many times better the show is than the movie because you can't multiply by zero and get any number other than zero, but the far far far superior show, I don't think this'll happen with "Tux". It has kinda made me hold onto the manga for now though, damn thing made me move shit all around on my damn shelf!

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:38 pm

I smell something lame and trite like The Shaggy Dog. I hope it doesn't feature Tim Allen.

braves

Postby braves » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:51 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... $8-million

The way ADV separated itself into multiple entities in a move to get away from creditors always seem shady to me, even if they were taking advantage of a provision in the Texas Statutes that allows that (which I have yet to read in its entirety myself). With that in mind, I guess I shouldn't be surprised from that somebody would come after them, but I honestly wouldn't have thought that it would be FUNimation.

The case itself is in Harris County, so maybe I could drop by to see the case unfold for myself? lol

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:48 am

Well Funimation is asking for a jury trial I think (judge would probably rule in favor of ADV.) Maybe you can be part of the jury if you live in that county :lol:

I have to agree. I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but it sounds like ADV separated into a million entities just to avoid having to pay back its creditors.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:39 pm

You know...if people can collect damages for copyright infringements on stuff they bought the copyrights for via auction or sale then I think the courts can apply the same logic to transfers of obligations and contract. That may sound a bit odd but I figure if the interpretations of law allow the first case then it ought to apply where someone picks up distribution rights and other contract obligations from a company dealing with a dissolved company or one that disperses it assets. In other words I think that dispersing a company's assets and obligations via shadow companies and hiding them via questionable liquidation proceedings sounds very dodgy. But that's just my opinion....

braves

Postby braves » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:13 pm

^ I would think so too, but The King of Harts posted mentioned in the ANN threadthat his company went through the same process and managed to avoid being liable for its previous actions. It seems like a very broken system if it plays that way in this case as well, but that's what we have. People should pay attention to the laws when they're being written in the legislature if they want to head off unfair laws like this.
chrisb wrote:Well Funimation is asking for a jury trial I think (judge would probably rule in favor of ADV.) Maybe you can be part of the jury if you live in that county :lol:
That makes think of a jury full of anime fans listening to this case-- only to be disappointed that it doesn't unfold just like the cases in Ace Attorney.

Return to “Anime”