Anything interesting going on in the anime industry?

Area to discuss all things anime related.
Zanarkand Princess

Anything interesting going on in the anime industry?

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:46 pm

Well we have lots of threads for specific big events and stuff but how about we but anything small that doesn't warrant a whole thread here. Like I found out a while ago funimation Valnetine's day gift to us would be one (or more) licenses.

So anything like that can go here

Past

Re: Anything interesting going on in the anime industry?

Postby Past » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:19 pm

Well I won't be able to provide any forecasts about new acquisitions and upcoming releases but I want to give my overall opinion that the anime industry is in bad shape. I like the many new changes that are happening to try to revitalize the industry as long as they are sensible, and are well received by anime consumers.

Two such changes that I am referring to is the internationalization of anime releases and authorized streaming media. Both methods attempt to make anime more accessible to fans while ensuring intellectual content is protected for creators. I would really like both of these methods work in terms of keeping the industry itself alive, because anime creators, artists and those involved with animation technology need to earn a living for their talents. I would also like these efforts to make a positive impact on the elimination of piracy and illegal media sharing. But alas we do not live in an ideal world, there are people out there who are greedy, want their entertainment for free, and feel that the internet is a privilege, not a right.
In Soviet Russia; witches strike you!Image

Il y Aura Du Sang

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:19 am

Aside from Naruto, what other series are on the verge of "catching up" with their Japanese releases? That, to me, is definitely a development to keep an eye on. For an industry that's in bad shape, I didn't expect it to make this leap at this stage.

Si eres bueno para algo, no lo hagas gratis.

braves

Postby braves » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:12 am

Only other one that comes to mind is Code Geass R2, which started airing when it still hadn't finished in Japan.

As for interesting things going on in the anime world, take heed of the Best Buy anime sale that's happening in select stores (50% off of what's already posted). I probably won't buy anything, but here's the full list:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/AlphaFredo/storelist.jpg

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:54 am

Yeah, none of the stores close to me are on that list..I guess it's a good thing in the long run but I wanted in on that sale.

braves

Postby braves » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:36 pm

No surprises here. News of a hiatus and the regular "Cartoon Network hates anime" posts appear. :roll:

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:02 pm

Yup, I don't really care anymore though. Just give me my DVD sets and I'm alright.

Il y Aura Du Sang

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:56 am

braves wrote:No surprises here. News of a hiatus and the regular "Cartoon Network hates anime" posts appear. :roll:

AS DID chuck all Anime away when they found the perfect opportunity to do so. I won't call their original programming shit or anything similar (in fact, Internet buzz for The Venture Brothers has caught my eye) but fact is, the station no longer provides the amount of titles it used to.

I don't care much for CN so I can't say anything there.

Si eres bueno para algo, no lo hagas gratis.

AndrePaploo

Postby AndrePaploo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:05 am

YTV's airing Pretty Cure in english, though I've yet to catch it since I'm not up early enough on weekends [missed first ep due to Convention stuff]. I might try taping it on Friday this week.... it sounds to be getting generally good reviews, with the only major changes being new names for the main characters, and a new english opening. Otherwise, original BG music and general atmosphere remain the same by all accounts. I hope it does well enough to get a better timeslot, though it's nice to see YTV taking on stuff US networks snuff at.

doug19992000

Postby doug19992000 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:56 am

Funimation to stream gonzo current and future works.
Does this mean funi will be streaming Shangri-La as well?

AndrePaploo

Postby AndrePaploo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:45 pm

doug19992000 wrote:Funimation to stream gonzo current and future works.
Does this mean funi will be streaming Shangri-La as well?

I'm guessing it means Funimation will be streaming and handling subtitle production for all their currently airing and future shows, and will likely also get DVD rights to them [and dibs on streams/tv rights of dubbed versions]. The bit in the accompanying Press Release about "in addition to streaming with partners" makes me guess they'll still post Gonzo shows wherever they can, but Funimation will be their primary partner/handler of production.

braves

Postby braves » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:00 am

We're getting 1.11 on Blu-ray. Yay! But why does FUNi want to release the outdated version as well? I mean, most Eva fans will know by now the video quality problems that 1.01 had, so why bother?

Meh, whatever. I just hope they have some good extras set up for 1.11. Like a nice thick booklet and all that.

Let's just hope they license 2.0 rather quickly...or not depending on how many version you expect it to have. :roll:

Truered

Postby Truered » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:04 am

braves wrote:We're getting 1.11 on Blu-ray. Yay! But why does FUNi want to release the outdated version as well? I mean, most Eva fans will know by now the video quality problems that 1.01 had, so why bother?

Meh, whatever. I just hope they have some good extras set up for 1.11. Like a nice thick booklet and all that.

Let's just hope they license 2.0 rather quickly...or not depending on how many version you expect it to have. :roll:

You think you've got it bad? I live in the UK, so add +2 years to the release date, unless Manga ent. pull their finger out.

As with the last year or so, once again it looks like I'll be importing instead of buying stuff from the UK distributors :twisted: Lets just hope the release is below £18 so I don't have to worry about £8 in import/handing fees being tacked on :cry:
Image Image Image

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:42 pm

braves wrote:We're getting 1.11 on Blu-ray. Yay! But why does FUNi want to release the outdated version as well? I mean, most Eva fans will know by now the video quality problems that 1.01 had, so why bother?

I've been waiting for that blu ray since new years I want it now :x

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:16 am

Today has been a very good anime day for me. First, I find out that there will be new episodes of Inuyasha in the works, then I find out that Bandai licensed Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens and the first two episodes are being streamed on ANN (I've wanted to watch this anime for a long while).

I am a happy panda :D
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:20 am

I'm becoming one of those bitter fans whose favorite series is always getting past by :?
I want Toradora and at least a sub of SZS.

braves

Postby braves » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:48 pm

Dragon Boxes. Coming to America. *laughs at season set buyers*

I doubt that I'll buy the whole thing, but I will buy the first one just to support a really good quality release from FUNi. Now I just have to wait for the Dragon Boxes for DB....

braves

Postby braves » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:14 am

Truered wrote:You think you've got it bad? I live in the UK, so add +2 years to the release date, unless Manga ent. pull their finger out.

http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/3347115000

Well, that's not so bad after all. ;)

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:04 pm

It's looking like a bad day for Shin Chan fans :(

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:35 am

Every time I read the title to this thread the next word that pops into my head is "No". Don't ask...

I came across this gem in Plurk via a link labeled "Piracy at its FINEST!!!". Behold a most brazen rip-off as described in this blog entry: http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2010/01/even-more-awesome-case-of-piracy.html
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

Return to “Anime”