Anything interesting going on in the anime industry?

Area to discuss all things anime related.
braves

Re: Anything interesting going on in the anime industry?

Postby braves » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:24 pm

I had no idea I had moved to Japan.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... of-sinners

From the FUNimation forums:

Is anybody on this board blind buying that thing? >.>

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Nope... Already bought the whole series on R2 DVD. :P Bonus chapter eh? Oh well. I suppose I can do without.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:54 am

No, I'm non-blind non-buying it. I loved the movies, but I'm waiting on a reasonable release. There's a lot wrong with this release: We've already proven with Bandai Visual that we aren't willing to pay Japanese prices for media, but now Aniplex wants to try their hand at it during the worst economic crisis many of us have lived through? Let's get real here. Then there's the claims that the price is so high because Japan is concerned for reverse importing, so why release it at the same time? Release it in the summer at a lower price in hopes that the Japanese release has sold through by then. The other argument is that people aren't likely to blind buy a movie box set like this so they need to use a higher price to maximize their profits, but then I have to wonder why they're doing a BR release at all? This is just glorified importing, a smart (and serious) release would be on DVD, which isn't as likely to be reverse imported, at a $150 MSRP.

This is, what, the third release for Japan (Theater, DVD, and now BR)? By now they know what they're getting so they're not likely blind buying the set and will shell out the cash for it if they want it badly enough, otherwise they have an alternative. I have no idea why they would think American buyers would being willing to jump right on this. Hopefully we get a reasonable release later, I want to own the series, but I would have to give up far too much to make it work.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:13 pm

Because Blu-Ray is awesome is the Blu-Ray answer.

Sukunai

Postby Sukunai » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:08 pm

Anything interesting you say?

I suppose the Tokyo ban (which I know you have heard of already) might qualify as 'interesting'.

Just watched Yosuga No Sora ep 11 and yeah, I think we might be seeing a lot less of this out of Tokyo shortly.

Considering the nature of the content of ep 11

She is doing exactly like it looks like she is doing, it is not a quirk of circumstances, he's getting sucked off. She manages to get fucked several times in the one episode, and in most of the sequences, she ends up naked and you see no small amount of activity.

Over all, she's a minor, shes a sibling, and that is not just alluded to sex, it's blatant. No idea when that aired time slot wise, but, I suspect it won't matter shortly. When the ban kicks in shows like this simply likely won't be airing in public even at the middle of the night.

But I think the ban is likely going to set new standards for clumsy wording and clumsy implementation.
Expert counsel, generous advice from friends, and my own knowledge has left me realizing, I am all that a man needs to be a man, and yet, I live half my day with a woman's frame of mind all the same.
I'd rather something in the way of more mundane troubles :)

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:47 pm

Well last time they needed to make up some random loophole we got tentacles, I can't wait to see what'll come out of this!

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:23 am

Even weirder is Yosuga no Sora is the type of show people eagerly await for the DVD release to see it uncensored as the tv version normally cuts it out. So a show that's so straight forward in it's content that isn't 100% graphic is an interesting twist in itself.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:16 am

I'm very sorry but I cannot imagine any 8-10 hours of an anime that I would spend $400 on. I don't care how pretty it is, or how much I love Kalafina. Maybe if you weren't so crazy in the first place you wouldn't have to be worried about reverse importing. Would the industry really die if you stopped charging ridiculous prices in Japan too?

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:52 am

^ Totally agree on this one. Oh Japan if you want to succeed be freaking reasonable.

braves

Postby braves » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:12 am

So was anybody watching Fractale on either Youtube or Hulu? :-/ I guess we should seen something ridiculous like this coming. The 480p video on this show looked like a 360p upscale (probably was) and the audio was sub-par in comparison to other noitaminA streams (according to some-- didn't really check it out myself since I was glancing through the credits). With the crappy materials that FUNimation was given, you could only assume that somebody on the committee was paranoid about the whole simulcast business and it sure turned out that way.

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 am

braves wrote:So was anybody watching Fractale on either Youtube or Hulu? :-/

I was, though the first episode was pretty dumb. I'm not gonna cry over the (current) loss of their ability to stream the show, unless of course it turns out better than I'm expecting. Then I'd be sad. Right now I'm just disappointed about the whole simulcast system and paranoia that comes with it.

Also, why do people feel the need to pirate things when they're already available for free in a legal manner (and almost immediately, at that)? I don't get it. I can at least understand the mindset assuming you'd have to pay to watch, but that's not the case here. :|
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:42 am

Pastachan wrote:Also, why do people feel the need to pirate things when they're already available for free in a legal manner (and almost immediately, at that)? I don't get it. I can at least understand the mindset assuming you'd have to pay to watch, but that's not the case here. :|

They want HQ/Blu-Ray quality (ooh I need to see those lines in the background) and for it to be free. Who cares about supporting the industry :roll:

Also Japanese companies can be beyond stupid. Funimation was responsible for the legal streaming of the show. I honestly don't believe they were told to make sure the show didn't get subbed using Japanese broadcast raws.

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:07 am

chrisb wrote:and for it to be free.

Which it is. ;) Though not in HD quality, true.

Also Japanese companies can be beyond stupid. Funimation was responsible for the legal streaming of the show. I honestly don't believe they were told to make sure the show didn't get subbed using Japanese broadcast raws.

It's dumb how Japanese companies always make FUNi do everything. And then FUNi manages to get "punished" for it. It's your fucking material that's being uploaded -- do it yourself and lrn2Internet. Removing all piracy is going to be impossible.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:11 am

The whole situation is stupid. It's like someone having a tumor, getting them pay in advance for their treatments, giving them one radiation treatment, and then telling them they can't have any more until they cure cancer (while France gets free health care). It's ridiculous to think that FUNi can just get rid of Fractale fansubs by pressing a button. It isn't their responsibility in the first place and as these fansubs continue without FUNi's stream who will they blame then? It's an awful situation, no matter what you think of the show itself this sets a terrible precedence for this to happen again with other shows in the future and may cause English streaming sites to think twice before choosing titles from the companies involved. Not to mention backfiring and causing more people to seek fansubs of Fractale now that our only legal means of watching it have been severed.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:33 am

Emerje wrote:Not to mention backfiring and causing more people to seek fansubs of Fractale now that our only legal means of watching it have been severed.

This!

Also, I like that you mentioned, rather humorously, the French situation. France consumes just as much anime (fansubs) as we N. Americans do, so why are they still allowed legal simulcasts? And in HD nonetheless?! Oh wait, these are Japanese companies we're talking about. They're made of ass.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Urobuchi Gen Apologizes For Misleading Audience of Madoka Magica. Hmmm.... I haven't even started watching the series so I'm going to say "pass" on discussing this. But I thought I'd share this for those who have gotten this far in watching the series.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:53 am

Sounds more like he's apologizing for failing to mislead people. Despite his best efforts, efforts of those who made the cheerful previews, and the efforts of whoever chose the upbeat and whimsical soundtrack, everyone pretty much figured out this wasn't going to be some cute, innocent magical girl series.

At the same time I think things moved too quickly. A girl [spoiler]had her head eaten by a "witch"[/spoiler] in the third episode, that's too early to drop the facade I think. Now that it's hit a low point it'll be difficult to go lower.

Oh, and Fractale is back with FUNi. All that hoopla and it's barely gone.

Emerje

braves

Postby braves » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:54 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... en-in-2012

First realistic sakuga movie since...2008 with The Sky Crawlers? If Satoshi Kon's movie comes out before then, then that'll be the next one. Honestly, these guys need to start training their proteges, After these guys retire, I don't see anybody else picking up their work and taking it from there. I like the recent generation of gifs animators to an extent, but we need a bit more of a balance as to what the younger generation wants to do.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:26 am

Funimation's One Piece lawsuit has been shot down by a judge.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... mments-bar

Unfortunately people are celebrating for all the wrong reason. The judge did the right thing. This lawyer was a scumbag who forged subpoenas and went about these lawsuits in a shady and cowardly way. I wish Funi luck and success and hopefully they can attack p2p sharing of their shows in a more effective way in the courtroom (if they choose to do that.)

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:32 am

Remastered Utena box set is up for preorder from Nozomi! You can even ask the godlike, incredible creator errr I mean director questions for an upcoming interview.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827 ... 1381/4/0/0

Return to “Anime”