Anime References on Non-Anime Sites

Area to discuss all things anime related.
Richard J.

Anime References on Non-Anime Sites

Postby Richard J. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:13 am

Have you ever been on a site that has no real connection to anime only to see a really interesting, funny or just plain cool anime reference made? Well, post examples here! Either your stories or pics.

To start off, here's a pic from a website dedicated to GI Joe figures and dioramas: Image
Image Watching the fun. Image
Princess Tutu: Kid-tested, mother-approved. And Daddy like too. Mmm, Rue.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Re: Anime References on Non-Anime Sites

Postby d.yaro » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:45 am

^ I've only watched one episode of the show in question (I think) and that was a fansubbed copy too. So I didn't get a laugh out of that one until after I read it a second time. Yup. I can see that one going 747 over a lot of people's heads. :D
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Zalis116

Postby Zalis116 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:23 am

It's not quite a non-anime site, but I like how TVTropes uses some anime terms to describe characters and situations in non-anime media. Like this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsundere

Richard J.

Postby Richard J. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:49 pm

Another great thing about the trope site is seeing legitmate ads for anime on there. It's the only site I've ever gone to that I've actually seen ads for products from Funimation and Bandai. (I can't remember seeing anyone else's there.)

It is wonderful how they don't ignore how things outside of anime/manga fit into anime/manga tropes. A wise fan could use some of the those references to convince someone new to get into anime.

"Honey, I know you love Keira Knightley in Pride and Prejudice and that's why you should check out My-Hime! Mai's personality is a lot like Elizabeth Bennet's!" (I doubt this would work but no crime in trying.)
Image Watching the fun. Image
Princess Tutu: Kid-tested, mother-approved. And Daddy like too. Mmm, Rue.

Dorcas_Aurelia

Postby Dorcas_Aurelia » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Lol.

Although, it begs the question, if he really doesn't follow anime, is there actually a company selling KnJ figurines at cons in the US? And if you didn't pick it up, the other guy is Dom from MegaTokyo.
Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
My dream is to hold a baby tiger, getting scared about it, and running away in fear.
It's a dream of failure. -Miyako

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:07 am

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:Lol.

Although, it begs the question, if he really doesn't follow anime, is there actually a company selling KnJ figurines at cons in the US? And if you didn't pick it up, the other guy is Dom from MegaTokyo.

It took me a second look to realize you linked to the wrong comic, that is pretty funny. :lol:

This probably doesn't count as a "non-anime site" per se -- I mean, it's a super deformed pop culture web comic by Udon's marketing manager and sometimes artist and writer, Matt Moylan -- but Lil Formers did a quick comic on the use of the word "manga". Read his notes at the end too, I don't disagree with his assessment on the use of the word "manga". "Fanga" indeed, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying all of Yen Plus, a good comic is a good comic.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

Dorcas_Aurelia

Postby Dorcas_Aurelia » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:38 am

Fixed. I thought I checked it when I posted.
My dream is to hold a baby tiger, getting scared about it, and running away in fear.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:03 am

Yay necroposting!

This isn't from a website, but more along the lines of "anime references where you least expect them":

So tonight my brother and I are driving back from our dad's house after a party and we're listening to the radio when the DJ says, "Coming up we've got Disturbed, Slipknot, Alice in Chains, and other tsundere bands!" We both simultaneously say "Did he just say that!?" Aside from not using the term right, has the word really gotten that far into the English lexicon? I can honestly say I've never heard it used outside of anime circles before and here some yahoo is just tossing it around on the radio.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

Saki

Postby Saki » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:20 pm

SUPPORT MEXICAN VOICE ACTING!

CLICK!

The reason I placed this video link is the cause Mr. Benjamín Rivera (a very important Mexican dub actor, especially known for voicing Phillip J. Fry [Futurama] and many anime characters) to create an official web page for the Mexican dub actor's group.

That's why any help counts. Since I don't have a buck in my pocket, I try helping by passing around this information. So to you, my dear friends, both English and Spanish-speaking ones, I ask you to help me distribute this information to those you know that love anime and good dub work. It's not an obligation to give money, but it'd be very much appreciated.

So let's give it some energy and help those who voiced some of the characters of our childhood, OK?
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:33 am

Mexican voice actors are like a million times better than English (still love English voices), wish they still released some along with a few dubs like they did with Evangelion and Dragonball back in the day. Even KareKano had Spanish subs which was nice.

Start bringing some to America!

Saki

Postby Saki » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:43 am

That'd seriously rock, but it'd mean the series would be more expensive.
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

braves

Postby braves » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Not really from a site either, but:

http://www.thejaylenoshow.com/video/episodes/?vid=1174986&tin=2236&tout=2529#vid=1174986

And just what is that bus doing there? (around 39:50) :shock:

Dorcas_Aurelia

Postby Dorcas_Aurelia » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:22 am

Again, not a website, but I saw a preview for this coming Wednesday's episode of 30 Rock, and it featured an anime character body pillow (I didn't immediately recognize the character and it wasn't on screen very long). I also recall the guest character (I can't remember who it was) saying "America is not ready" for the greatness, or something like that.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:26 pm

I was reading my book last night and came across a reference to the one character, Moondog, wearing a black t-shirt that said "Fruits Basket" on it. It is a Stephanie Plum novel written by author Janet Evanovich. Title is Fearless Fourteen.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:24 am

I was watching a tv program called "Rescue Ink". Basically it's a bunch of tattooed men who perform animal rescues. The "spiritual father" of the group, Batso, who happens to be 75 years old, had a statue of Jin from Samurai Champloo on his shelf. Not what I pictured of a typical 75 year old. (although this man is not typical with anything... lol) In fact, here's a link to this man's bio: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/rescue-ink-unleashed/all/Overview02#tab-batso

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:06 am

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... ow/1362560

SNL's skit on late night college JPOP talk show by weeaboos. They mentioned Candy Candy :shock:

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:53 pm

The new semi-good TV show Bates Motel blames the future Psycho lead character's issues on torture manga he finds as a teenager. It was a reallllly creepy S&M manga and is a major part of the plot.

Return to “Anime”