Anime Recommendations

Area to discuss all things anime related.
Littlewolf

Re: Anime Recommendations

Postby Littlewolf » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:55 am

Emerje - I like to think of Princess Tutu like Utena for elementry kids. It starts out as regular magical girl show, but then they start throwing in underlying bits and suddenly you're all WTF is this? Lots of dark themes I'd never thought I'd see in a kids show, and I'm sure little kids who have watched it don't understand half of it. It's like they have the story for for kids, and between the lines there's a story for adults, and well... I'll admit I cried at one point, It's really touching at times. The use of classical music is a major plus too of course. It just demands you get through the typical episodic magical girl fare before getting to the juicy bits.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:25 am

^ :o :D I'm so glad I bought it then.

Somebody recommend me some disturbing anime, I want a good scare.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:01 am

Hmm, can't remember if you'll watch fansubs or not, but if you will then track down Kara no Kyoukai. I'm not usually into disturbing shows with a lot of gore, but even I thought it was a masterpiece. Probably the most disturbing scene involves [spoiler]one of the major support character getting decapitated by their opponent who then carries their head around and shows it to one of the main characters and proceeds to make it talk like a puppet before disfiguring it.[/spoiler] Yeah, that was a tough scene to take.

Oh, what about Red Garden, have you seen that? I was watching and really enjoying that one on TAN before Time Warner started skipping episodes like they always do with shows I like. I think it's a good fit for you. FUNimation even has the first seven episodes online. I really want to get back to finish it sometime.

Sounds like I might just have to give TuTu a second chance. :up

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:35 am

Littlewolf wrote:Emerje - I like to think of Princess Tutu like Utena for elementry kids. It starts out as regular magical girl show, but then they start throwing in underlying bits and suddenly you're all WTF is this? Lots of dark themes I'd never thought I'd see in a kids show, and I'm sure little kids who have watched it don't understand half of it. It's like they have the story for for kids, and between the lines there's a story for adults, and well... I'll admit I cried at one point, It's really touching at times. The use of classical music is a major plus too of course. It just demands you get through the typical episodic magical girl fare before getting to the juicy bits.

I always wondered about this one myself. I've heard others say similar things. Do you recall how far in before the dark themes appear?

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:38 am

Emerje wrote:Hmm, can't remember if you'll watch fansubs or not, but if you will then track down Kara no Kyoukai. I'm not usually into disturbing shows with a lot of gore, but even I thought it was a masterpiece. Probably the most disturbing scene involves [spoiler]one of the major support character getting decapitated by their opponent who then carries their head around and shows it to one of the main characters and proceeds to make it talk like a puppet before disfiguring it.[/spoiler] Yeah, that was a tough scene to take.

Oh, what about Red Garden, have you seen that? I was watching and really enjoying that one on TAN before Time Warner started skipping episodes like they always do with shows I like. I think it's a good fit for you. FUNimation even has the first seven episodes online. I really want to get back to finish it sometime.

Sounds like I might just have to give TuTu a second chance. :up

Emerje

I do fansubs as long as it's not a licensed show and I just delete them right after viewing. Kara no Kyoukai sounds pretty cool.

And you have no idea how much I freaking love Red Garden lol, I already own it! It was semi-disturbing but I found it more emotional and powerful than creepy.

Dorcas_Aurelia

Postby Dorcas_Aurelia » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Sentire wrote:
Littlewolf wrote:Emerje - I like to think of Princess Tutu like Utena for elementry kids. It starts out as regular magical girl show, but then they start throwing in underlying bits and suddenly you're all WTF is this? Lots of dark themes I'd never thought I'd see in a kids show, and I'm sure little kids who have watched it don't understand half of it. It's like they have the story for for kids, and between the lines there's a story for adults, and well... I'll admit I cried at one point, It's really touching at times. The use of classical music is a major plus too of course. It just demands you get through the typical episodic magical girl fare before getting to the juicy bits.

I always wondered about this one myself. I've heard others say similar things. Do you recall how far in before the dark themes appear?

It doesn't take too long. After the third or so heart shard, Mytho has a little freak out because Tutu has only been recovering negative emotions so far, and Duck has to consider whether it's actually better to not restore his heart and save him the pain of such emotions. The second half of the series though is where it really kicks in.
My dream is to hold a baby tiger, getting scared about it, and running away in fear.
It's a dream of failure. -Miyako

Bonham

Postby Bonham » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:20 am

Emerje wrote:Sounds like I might just have to give TuTu a second chance. :up
I don't know what the fan consensus is, but I really like the ending; it's one of those rare anime endings that actually close its plot threads and character arcs in a satisfying manner (though one development might be a bit arbitrary for some people, I guess).

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:16 am

chrisb wrote:^ :o :D I'm so glad I bought it then.

Somebody recommend me some disturbing anime, I want a good scare.

Hehe, I love disturbing anime, I'm watching it right now, try Bokurano which becomes increasingly more messed up and disturbing as the series goes on and we get to see more the characters and the plot thickens to become...well even more disturbing. And that damn awesomely addictive OP!

But one of my favorite disturbing manga has got to be Battle Royale, which I think is quite similar to Bokurano in many ways but with a more clear goal given to the characters (kill or be killed, last one standing wins!). It actually has a lot of character development, they're really like to crash your emotions.

Also, glad you got Princess Tutu ;)
HellKorn wrote:I don't know what the fan consensus is, but I really like the ending; it's one of those rare anime endings that actually close its plot threads and character arcs in a satisfying manner (though one development might be a bit arbitrary for some people, I guess).

That's what I thought of Princess Tutu's ending myself, I think any other way would have been a cop-out.

kyokun703

Postby kyokun703 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:44 am

classicalzawa wrote:Hehe, I love disturbing anime, I'm watching it right now, try Bokurano which becomes increasingly more messed up and disturbing as the series goes on and we get to see more the characters and the plot thickens to become...well even more disturbing. And that damn awesomely addictive OP!

I don't know if I would like Bokurano as disturbing anime isn't something I usually watch, but I did go check out the OP on youtube, and holy cow, that is a great OP! Thanks for the find!

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:58 am

classicalzawa wrote:Hehe, I love disturbing anime, I'm watching it right now, try Bokurano which becomes increasingly more messed up and disturbing as the series goes on and we get to see more the characters and the plot thickens to become...well even more disturbing. And that damn awesomely addictive OP!

Narutaru (the spiritual prequel to Bokurano) disturbed me to no end, especially the TWO rape scene in one episode which had me gagging. So yeah I'll probably check out Bokurano :up

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:34 am

chrisb wrote:
Narutaru (the spiritual prequel to Bokurano) disturbed me to no end, especially the TWO rape scene in one episode which had me gagging. So yeah I'll probably check out Bokurano :up

I've always loved how Narutaru looks so incredibly cute, like your typical magical girl show, and then you get into it a ways and then it's OMFG, MY EYES! THEY... NO THEY DIDN'T!!!

... I am so pissed that Darkhorse dropped the manga. I have all the manga released here, and it's one of the few titles I have that seem it will never be complete.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head outside of the realm of hentai that ever really disturbed me.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:54 am

School Days.. It shouldn't have, I know but that last episode really..

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:02 am

^ The final episode of the series is the only thing that should be watched, watching the show in its entirety leads to serious brain damage.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:09 pm

I was laughing at the whole thing by episode 5. It's like a comedy until the last episode, really.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:52 am

Have to say thanks to all those that recommended Princess Tutu, I'm almost done with it but not only does it start off slow and get good, it starts off good and gets incredible!!

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:53 am

Are there any recent anime where the male lead isn't a complete douche or a total loser? It's like anime companies have stopped caring about creating likable male characters. I preferred the asshole but dark past male leads (Princess Tutu, Kare Kano) to the generic moe leads of Haruhi and Clannad.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:28 am

chrisb wrote:Are there any recent anime where the male lead isn't a complete douche or a total loser? It's like anime companies have stopped caring about creating likable male characters. I preferred the asshole but dark past male leads (Princess Tutu, Kare Kano) to the generic moe leads of Haruhi and Clannad.

I'm probably going to name stuff you've seen, but...

Kure-nai and I can't wait to see the new OAV! Shinkuro has had THE WORST childhood imaginable: [spoiler]He's the sole survivor of an airport terrorist bombing where his entire family is killed; As an orphan he's kidnapped by slave traders and watches kids get killed for crying; Is rescued and taken in by a powerful (yet kind) Japanese family that used to train assassins and undergoes brutal martial arts training.[/spoiler] Yet he maintains a fairly normal school life and an optimistic, happy-go-lucky outlook. Qualities that benefit him well in the series.

Akira in Eden of the East is also a very likable male lead that's very carefree, but he's very smart and often thinking several steps ahead.

I'm going to throw out Kara no Kyoukai again. Mikiya Kokutou is just a nice guy that's in love with Shiki despite her deadly flaws. He's willing to put himself in harms way to prevent her from doing things that anyone else would regret (namely, killing for fun our out of boredom).

The title character in Natsume Yuujin Chou is rather unique. Natsume lives between both the human world and the spirit world which causes problems for his human life. He's adapted to this buy distancing himself from both, but after moving in with some relatives and a series of events he begins to open up and accept to his unique life.

Tears to Tiara had two strong male leads. Arthur is a bit gung-ho as a tribe leader, but even with all of the female characters running around he rarely seems to notice them, taking more interest in the tribe. Arawn on the other hand is surprisingly the harem lead (in a mater of speaking), but he's only interested in one. He's believed to be evil incarnate, but is really a nice guy and an experienced leader.

And of course, Toradora, but I'm sure you've heard enough about that one.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:33 am

I'll second Mikiya Kokuto from Kara no Kyoukai. He was the first one I thought of when I first saw your query chrisb.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:59 am

What about Natsume Yuujinchou? Natsume Takashi is a very likable male character. I'd also say Hei from Darker Than Black is another male character that isn't a total douche. My guess is you've probably seen these series anyway... but I thought I would mention them just in case.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:15 am

I'll have to check out those shows thanks guys! Hopefully they get licensed because I'm a tiny bit bored of fansubs at the moment, plus I can barely get through a DVD a week.

Return to “Anime”