Fall 2014 Anime

Area to discuss all things anime related.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Fall 2014 Anime

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Link: http://livechart.me/fall

My general impression was along the lines of "Is this for real?". Presuming it is then more Mushishi is not a bad thing. "Kiseijuu" has captured my interest though. It'll be interesting to see how the artwork on that one turns out. Can't say I'm definitely going to watch it though.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Hattie

Re: Fall 2014 Anime

Postby Hattie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:44 pm

I find myself watching fewer and fewer shows each new season for two reasons: 1) there's actually less "good" stuff to watch, or I just have less patience for the never-changing anime formula; and 2) I simply don't have as much time, because of work and my choice to keep up with other shows instead.

The only shows that look interesting to me are Mushishi and Musume Ronja. There's a few others that might have potential, but I think a lot of them tend to look that way and don't actually measure up in the end. I'll need more info!

Oh, the new Fate/stay night, maybe.

A Mystery

Postby A Mystery » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:48 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I think this season is awesome. The second Chaika season rocks, Parasyte is an awesome show and Rage of Bahamut Genesis also really surprised me.

Parasyte: Really interesting show, hasn't made one misstep so far. I do not really feel like it belongs in the horror genre (sure the parasites look a bit creepy but that's all), but it offers a lot in terms of good characterization, suspense, action, drama and brings up interesting questions about humankind.

Chaika the Coffin Princess: Continues where the first season left off. We get to know more about all the mysteries, more awesome action, humorous scenes from Akari and Chaika has some serious existential issues now.

Rage of Bahamut Genesis: Marathoned this one yesterday, I somehow missed its awesomeness. I really wonder where this quirky show will take me, but so far it's full of fun mysteries, action and as I get to know the characters better, I love them more and more.

Yona of the Dawn is a classic tale of a naive girl who'll slowly turn into a stronger woman. Though full of bishounen, I think the execution is quite good so far. The music is a little bit loud, but oh well.

Your Lie in April: A show about music and drama, where the main character has to overcome his trauma. I love it so far, though the females are a bit too violent for my tastes. I do not dislike Kaori in this show though. I would fear her in real life with that calculating personality, but I'm interested in seeing how she's become such a person.

Psycho Pass: I'm not as er, psyched as I was watching the first season. This is the only minor letdown for me so far, I'll just marathon it later.

Wolf and Black Prince: I er... I... no. I won't say it's a good show. It really isn't. This is just my guilty pleasure. I'm sorry.

There are a couple of other shows that I did not really dislike, but were just not to my tastes (like Kokkuri-san).

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:37 pm

A Mystery wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I think this season is awesome. The second Chaika season rocks, Parasyte is an awesome show and Rage of Bahamut Genesis also really surprised me.

Parasyte: Really interesting show, hasn't made one misstep so far. I do not really feel like it belongs in the horror genre (sure the parasites look a bit creepy but that's all), but it offers a lot in terms of good characterization, suspense, action, drama and brings up interesting questions about humankind.

Rage of Bahamut Genesis: Marathoned this one yesterday, I somehow missed its awesomeness. I really wonder where this quirky show will take me, but so far it's full of fun mysteries, action and as I get to know the characters better, I love them more and more.

Yona of the Dawn is a classic tale of a naive girl who'll slowly turn into a stronger woman. Though full of bishounen, I think the execution is quite good so far. The music is a little bit loud, but oh well.

Psycho Pass: I'm not as er, psyched as I was watching the first season. This is the only minor letdown for me so far, I'll just marathon it later.

Your not the first person to say that about Psycho Pass, which makes me a bit sad. I really enjoyed the first season, and feel like there is a lot of potential, but from what I'm hearing, it's been a let down for most people. I'm kind of apprehensive about watching it.

My friend was just telling me about Parasyte as well. She said there are bits of humor in there, and some gore. She can't watch anything too serious or too dramatic without occasional breaks of humor. Another friend of mine seems a little freaked out about the parasites. In any case, this is definitely in my queue.

Thanks for commenting on Rage of Bahamut Genesis. I haven't heard too much about it, and honestly, didn't really even look into it at all. I didn't even bother to figure out if I should give it a shot. Maybe I'll add that to my queue as well.

One of my biggest pet peeve's is when the audio on a movie, tv show, anime, or game is inconsistent in volume! I hate having to turn up the volume when people are speaking, and then turn it down again during action scenes, or when music is playing.

A Mystery

Postby A Mystery » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:03 pm

Sorry for the late reply.

There are some bits of humour in Parasyte, but those bits aren't in the majority. There are some slow moments of bonding family and friends as well and also some discussion about what defines humanity and all, which is quite interesting.

Shingeki no Bahamut wasn't on my queue list either. It's set in an awesome fantasy world and has a kind of Hollywood feel with the way they 'shot' some scenes. They've got all kinds of fantasy cliche fare living in there too - name it and it's present somewhere.

The main female cast in Your lie in april is too violent too often. Which could be fine, if the rest of the cast wouldn't just quietly accept it (except for one side character, who commented on it). It's weird to watch, because the main guy has a past of being abused, so nothing really changed for him, so it seems. They all mean well, right :roll:? Even wolf girl from Wolf and Black Prince wouldn't let herself be treated that way.

Are you watching anything from this season right now, Sentire?

A Mystery

Postby A Mystery » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:25 am

I still believe this is the best season in what might be, years.

Parasyte is still going strong! I only wish glasses girl would get more exposition as to why she did a certain dangerous thing. The main character is becoming more attractive each episode. I want some people close to him find out, I'm very curious how they'll react to Migi's existence and if they'll see Shinichi as a human being or a monster and what makes them decide on which view.

Rage of Bahamut Genesis: The characters become more endearing each episode as they show us their motivations and backgrounds. We already got to know more about Favaro and Kaisar, but Amira's behavior is also explained now. Favaros facial expressions are funny. I like the pacing so far, but it's just a weird idea that this won't continue another season. There is just too much awesomeness to explore!

Yona of the Dawn: It's interesting to see Yona grow and think things through. She might have been unknowledgable before, but it's clear she has an open mind and wants to learn. She is terribly clueless regarding one issue though. The music is less overbearing, which is a good thing. There seem to be more reasons for why Suu-won wants to reign as king, so I'm hoping they'll expand more on that and really make it a complex issue. This story has probably been done a thousand times before, but I do think the execution is quite good.

Chaika the Coffin Princess: More Chaikas! Everything these two seasons have been trying to build up is coming together now. I hope they'll end this in a satisfying way. I think that for newcomers, Chaika's speech pattern will still be the main annoyance, but I'm used to it know. Also, I want it to end with some Akari humor. I see that many people are enjoying this series, though they don't seem to think it's an amazing show for some reason. I think they did an awesome job in keeping the audience interested in the mysteries these past two seasons, slowly revealing everything, in keeping up the good action and having an odd sense of humor (especially Akari). The only thing I found too predictable was Hartgen.
The main characters are fun, but maybe they should've tried to make us more attached to them, either more or less compelling in the beginning and give them more development. Tohru and Akari are saboteurs and products of war, so I thought they'd be, you know, more ambiguous in their behavior. They loyally follow someone who might bring the world to ruin, but they neither really show nasty/evil faces nor seem to harbor evil thoughts*. Some Yagami Light behavior at the beginning would've been fun.

Your Lie in April: Once again, Kousei's background is done very well, but the main women keep showing ambiguous behavior. Kaori and Tsubaki obviously care a lot and Kaori is even concerned about her behavior at some point, but they are both the pushy, sometimes violent type. Stop that. Luckily, the past few episodes focus more on Kousei's past and the new characters at the music competition. I'll continue watching this.

Wolf and Black Prince: Okay, this may not be the best show ever made... but... I... like it. I mean, Kyoya's behavior towards Erika is clearly up for debate and unacceptable in real life and Erika is no angel either. At the beginning, she keeps up a series of lies just to be popular and get friends. She chooses for herself to be treated as a dog, because the lies are more important than her selfworth apparently.
Now where are the good points in this series? For starters, Erika for some reason has a really good friend in another class, San. She's a reasonable girl who doesn't beat about the bush in being honest to Erika. Also, she's no pushover.
As the series progresses, love troubles obviously come up. Erika falls in love with Kyoya despite his behavior and is obviously happy with a little SM treatment. She gets more backbone as she realizes she has her own boundaries and is starting to stand up to them. As Kyoya really seems to like her back, he is forced to change bit by bit as well. We don't actually have to wait until the end of the series to get some closure about whether they will or will not date (or even kiss) - SHOCK - they are in a relationship already! That's a far more interesting storyline to explore: how will that relationship ever function? We are already seeing some trouble in that direction (Erika wants to do all the cliched things Kyoya obviously isn't up for) and both have to compromise.
Yes, this is a series with its ups and downs. For downs, Kyoya needs to grow even more and the side characters introduced are hit and miss - Takeru is a really fun guy, but Kusakabe... no. Glad he seems to be gone now. For ups, we have two flawed people slowly growing in their relationship. And somehow, the two annoying friends that Erika so desperately wanted to keep with her juicy lies about her boyfriend: those girls are starting to become nicer. Another shock.

Psycho Pass 2: I'm afraid to even marathon it at this point, this series is getting F's for reviews now. I might rather just keep the first excellent season in mind and be thankful that Akane has become such an awesome and strong character.

Just now, I see Yuki Yuna is a Hero is also getting A's. How? Must find out.

*Okay, that depends on how you view Akari's thoughts about Tohru ;)

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:41 am

Your Lie in April: Once again, Kousei's background is done very well, but the main women keep showing ambiguous behavior. Kaori and Tsubaki obviously care a lot and Kaori is even concerned about her behavior at some point, but they are both the pushy, sometimes violent type. Stop that. Luckily, the past few episodes focus more on Kousei's past and the new characters at the music competition. I'll continue watching this.

I've been meaning to check out this show. Just been hard keeping up with anything as of late. I need to set aside some strict anime time lol.

A Mystery

Postby A Mystery » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:49 pm

It's quite a good (sometimes even excellent) show in most aspects, but the violence of the girls does rub me the wrong way. It's not remotely funny when you've seen the main guy (Kousei) been abused for real a few minutes before.

Anime is for entertainment, it's not a duty ;). But promise me that you do find time to relax and do fun things. Doesn't have to be anime per se. It's important for your health ;).

Return to “Anime”