Advice for newcomers to anime.

Area to discuss all things anime related.
doug19992000

Advice for newcomers to anime.

Postby doug19992000 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Most of us on this site probably have at least ten years of experience, or more, in anime fandom. So my question is: If you could give a newcomer to anime advice. What would it be?

My advice would be to pace yourself. Start out watching shows in a genre that you like then branch out into others. Just because a new season of anime is airing doesn't mean that you have to watch every single show. Doing something you want to do is enjoyable. Doing something that you feel you need to do can make it seem more like a chore. Which I believe can lead to burnout.

beken

Re: Advice for newcomers to anime.

Postby beken » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:03 am

I think it's great advice to go in slowly.

So...for a total novice, watching mostly English (read American or British) comic books in the past, where would one even start?

What would you recommend?

Maybe this forum could have a beginner's recommendations thread? What genres are out there?

Because I am a bit of a car nut, I enjoyed the Initial D series.

Anybody else have recommendations?

doug19992000

Postby doug19992000 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Other than Speed Racer or Redline, I can't think of any other anime were the focus is on cars or racing.

There is a thread for recommendations, so feel free to use that if you need any help in finding a new series to watch.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:08 am

If I think of other things I'll post them here...here's my first thought on the question at hand:

If the newcomer is someone who has a show or movie they've seen recently as a starting point then thinking up of something related to what they saw would be my next step. But, if the person has never knowingly watched any anime in the past then the story is different. In that case my choice for the "gateway drug" (so to speak) would be a Studio Ghibli movie which I think might catch the person's fancy. The perennial favourites over here seem to be "Laputa, Castle in the Sky", "My Neighbour Totoro", and "Kiki's Delivery Service". Those would be my first choices. Second choices would be "Spirited Away", "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind", and "Porco Rosso" from the films directed by Miyazaki Hayao and "Only Yesterday" and "Kaguya Hime no Monogatari" from the films directed by Takahata Isao.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:32 pm

That's a pretty good question. What I would do is start off on a popular anime, one with an established fanbase, like Dragon Ball Z or Naruto. You really can't go wrong with any Shonen Jump anime, in my opinion. Then maybe I would work my way down to some lesser known anime after a while, but that's just me.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

Hattie

Postby Hattie » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:24 am

^ This. I think it's best to start off with shows/books that are available where you live. For me personally, it helped that all the resources I needed were pretty much right in front of me and there were plenty of other people who liked the same things. Usually anime/manga that are popular in America end up being nostalgic "classics" like Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Attack on Titan, anything by CLAMP, etc.

Also it doesn't hurt to watch every Miyazaki movie! ;)
(Kind of fits in with the above reasons.)

But yeah... I didn't realize how important the whole "taking it slowly" thing really is, because I eventually got to the point where I was managing 8+ of the current season shows every few months. It's really not the best way to go about enjoying anime, because you really get burned out, and honestly it made me start to hate a lot of shows because they repeat the same formulas.

Now I'm a lot happier finding one or two shows that I know I'll love. So much more enjoyable.

Return to “Anime”