Thoughts about Hyouka

Area to discuss all things anime related.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Thoughts about Hyouka

Postby d.yaro » Wed May 23, 2012 1:59 pm

This is a very rare situation for me: I'm more or less caught up on watching it. :lol: Yeah, me the guy who takes a year to watch a 26 episode series. Anyways, in case you're in the dark about this series here's a link to the series page on MAL: http://myanimelist.net/anime/12189/Hyouka

Okay...I finished watching episode 5 recently. While the main mystery of the series appears to be solved there are a couple of things which are starting to bug me:
1) Is the Sekitani Jun episode not just about student unrest in the 1960s but also a social problem which hasn't gone away? There's a bit of me which wonders if part of the reason things ended up the way they did is because of the age [spoiler]old problem of bullying? The story states that Sekitani didn't choose to be a leader of the student rebellion but he was chosen by someone who in the end got off scot free.[/spoiler] There's something about the circumstances surrounding the Sekitani character which make me wonder about this.
2) After finding out about the history of the Hyouka anthology we still don't know [spoiler]why they couldn't find volume 1.[/spoiler] That's starting to bug me...
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

chrisb

Re: Thoughts about Hyouka

Postby chrisb » Thu May 24, 2012 3:13 am

A copy paste from the 'watching thread' since my opinion stands and I feel like each keystroke is a workout :lol:

Hyoka - Wow a KyoAni anime with a female lead who doesn't have an annoying moe catchphrase or acts like a mentally challenged 5 year old. Love it. The story is pretty boring so far, but I like the atmosphere and the characters are interesting. The male lead is a little stereotypical KyoAni D-bag, but he isn't too bad and his friend is a lot of fun.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Thu May 24, 2012 5:07 pm

chrisb wrote:The male lead is a little stereotypical KyoAni D-bag
:lol: :lol: Yeah. He certainly does fit the archetype. His attitude is very "meh" to begin with but then things change. I'm interested in seeing which direction he heads off to.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:57 am

Just watched episode 10, and I can't believe it, but I actually came up with the same conclusion he did when watching the screening. [spoiler]From the start I thought the camera work looked too much like a first person perspective rather than a normal filming, even for an amateur work. The way our perspective would walk around and got close to things rather than zoom felt too deliberate. I couldn't go as far as answering everything that he did. Also the rope isn't the only problem, three other things jumped out at me that weren't mentioned. 1) There's also the issue of the amount of blood. The script called for a small vile, but they used a 2 liter bottle instead, there was certainly a reason for the small amount. 2) There should have been mention of a murder weapon at some point, but I don't remember that coming up. They could say it doesn't matter, but I think it does. 3) is something they commented in episode 10, how realistic the fake hand looked. However in episode 9 there are several shots of hand castings and none of them looked good, most of them missing fingers. I think the comment in 10 was a clue, but I'm not sure in what way.[/spoiler]

What I find really fascinating about this series is I feel like I'm watching the origin story for some great detective character. Oreki isn't your typical character so it feels like we're watching him develop from scratch into someone with a greater calling. I'm glad to see it still has 11 episodes to go.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

Krimson

Postby Krimson » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm quite enjoying it. I have a couple of theories, but they are on the morbid side. Probably because Another is still stuck in my head.

1. [spoiler]The rope may have been used by the writer, and they will find her in a most disturbing way. Hanging from it.[/spoiler]

2. [spoiler]The arm looks realistic because it is real, and the rope was used as a tourniquet. Would explain why only a little blood was needed.[/spoiler]

Certainly hope I am wrong though.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:52 am

Krimson wrote:I'm quite enjoying it. I have a couple of theories, but they are on the morbid side. Probably because Another is still stuck in my head.

1. [spoiler]The rope may have been used by the writer, and they will find her in a most disturbing way. Hanging from it.[/spoiler]

2. [spoiler]The arm looks realistic because it is real, and the rope was used as a tourniquet. Would explain why only a little blood was needed.[/spoiler]

Certainly hope I am wrong though.

1. I thought about it, that would certainly explain the requirements for it, but if there was a reason I think we would have already seen hints.

2. I considered that, but realized people would have noticed at the school [spoiler]if a student was walking around without an arm[/spoiler]. However, what if [spoiler]it's the writer's arm? The prop guy is highly suspicious, it's possible he didn't like the direction of the story, took the writers arm forcing her into the hospital without finishing the story. Then he changed the props in his favor hoping to convince people his version was the right one. The rope would have been something he added later. Oreki got the ending right which would explain why the prop guy looked so mad leaving the screaning.[/spoiler]

I also think Fuyumi knows more about what's going on than she's letting on and has an ulterior motive for solving the movie mystery, like [spoiler]finding out what really happened to the writer if I'm right about her reasons for being in the hospital, though I guess it could be any reason.[/spoiler]

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

choski2

Postby choski2 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:46 pm

I'm loving this too. I thought the part where [spoiler]they found out what Hyouka meant and why he gave the anthology that title was really powerful and tragic.[/spoiler] Loving the art, atmosphere, characters and their interactions.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:02 am

Yeah, I love that the title Hyouka is actually [spoiler]the English word play on "ice cream" and "I scream".[/spoiler]

Anyway, episode 11: [spoiler]turns out the whole thing was much more innocent than some of us thought. Yeah, it wasn't the right ending, but most of them thought it was a good ending. Looks like the hand was really just a prop after all. I have to wonder if after that chat room exchange the crew got together and re-filmed it. Guess we'll find out next week.[/spoiler]

Emerje

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Drats! I've fallen behind badly on this one. Up to episode 7 now. Didn't watch anything last month what with all the stuff going on with one teacher leaving and a new one arriving.

Update: Marathoned up to the end of episode 11 tonight. As with the end of the first story arc, I have a few questions left but they certainly look like they'll be left unanswered. [spoiler]The second private meeting between Oreki and Irisu was quite the thing for me. It was so wonderfully prickly. Same for the last chat room scene in the episode. I might go back over that scene and try and suss out to my satisfaction who was behind each ID.[/spoiler]

Return to “Anime”