Random Anime Q&A

Area to discuss all things anime related.
chrisb

Re: Random Anime Q&A

Postby chrisb » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:59 am

Woah woah woah! What the heck? That's so random. They didn't say Sailor Moon... they said Trista Meoh/Sailor Pluto?

THAT IS AMAZING.

bashfulglowfly

Postby bashfulglowfly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:23 am

Didn't use the English name or Sailor Pluto...straight out Setsuna Meioh Guardian...etc!

Yup! They did! That particular character is very much an Otaku of many things, smart as hell and an agoraphobic as well!

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:08 am

I'm slowly crawling through Legend of the Galactic Heroes. The main OAV series is 110 episodes long. Which leaves me wondering "Are there people out there who bought the whole thing?" Anime on VHS and LD was never cheap so I find it hard to believe that anyone would have bought the whole thing starting back in 1988. By the time the series ended in 1997 DVDs were being sold but they're not exactly inexpensive in Japan either.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:41 am

I caught an episode of High School of the Dead. The dub was refreshing and I actually kind of enjoyed it. The fanservice was over the top, but I liked it. I was wondering if anyone has seen the show and if it keeps the brainless/fun atmosphere of the first episode. I've heard it gets pretty crappy later on and I just want to be careful with a potential purchase.

braves

Postby braves » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:34 pm

It keeps the fun atmosphere up until episode 9 or so. The story goes into a standstill [spoiler]when they reach a house where there's a bunch of adults running the operation. After that the series just stops right before they reach a mall (which apparently is the best arc so far in the manga).[/spoiler]Given the fact that there's no ending to the show, I'd say pick it up if you can find it cheap. Sentai's high MSRP for their Blu-ray releases make the current TRSI sale not quite as tempting as they are during a FUNimation sale (though that's beginning to change with the DVD/Blu-ray combo packs).

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:37 am

Thanks for the information :) I'll probably wait a while before I buy it, unless there's a cheap copy on Amazon.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Who's seen Simoun? I keep hearing it's this epic character drama but promo art looks like a bunch of hot yuris being dramatic. I am tempted to buy it but was wondering if its awesomeness has been exaggerated.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:10 pm

I've watched Simoun. Initially I watched the first few episodes, got disinterested, and then watched the last (or second from last) one. It wasn't exactly obvious as to how they got from A to B. Over a year later I gave the first few episodes a spin and then my viewing started gaining momentum. I ended up buying the whole series on DVD. It starts off looking like a yuri drama with a wartime backdrop coloured with magic-like elements. It evolves into a completely different creature as the series progresses. It becomes more of a wartime character drama with a certain amount of "grit". Don't let the pretty girls and costumes lull you into thinking this is an eye candy series. If anything I remember how the series seemed to have the message of "War is hell and throwing young people into the conflict to do the fighting is not something to be taken lightly". And the series isn't without a dose of background political machinations, intra-service conflicts, and few "Wait a second, let's try that again" plot twists and surprises. Once you get past the first few episodes you'll have a decent idea of what is going on and how things work (character-wise and with respect to the setting). I think I got my money's worth out the series.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:12 pm

I love the sound of it. I guess it deserved all the praise it got. I'm running out of quality anime dramas on my DVD shelf so this sounds like something I need. Thanks for the reply! :)

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Kappei Yamaguchi is one of my favorite voice actors! Was watching Giant Robo and had the commentary on. All of a sudden Kappei Yamaguchi says "I really like middle aged men." And his co-star (Sumi Shimamoto AKA Nausicaa <3) says "No, you REALLY like middle aged men haha."

Kind of like what the heck? :lol: From what I know Yamaguchi has a son and is married. Doesn't really matter, but with the way the anime business world seems works I would think they wouldn't want him saying something like that on DVD.

braves

Postby braves » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Yamaguchi is rather... out there for a seiyuu. He talked about [spoiler]masturbation[/spoiler] techniques and whatnot with Imaishi, Imaitoonz, and producer Morishita on the Dead Leaves extras. It's fitting talk given the show they're discussing, but you wouldn't expect that to come from a seiyuu.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:32 am

Sounds like he's just awesomely odd then lol. I wish more voice actors were that interesting. I do know the voice for Shinji/Sailor Uranus started choking her costar on one of the Eva movies because she really got into the role. We need more like that :lol:

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:03 am

So... do you guys think in the Pokemon world they eat the creatures? I mean where the hell do they get their meats when no normal animals exist?

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:02 am

They eat human prisoners lol. No death sentence, just food sentence.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:45 am

That would explain the lack of jails and violent crime.

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Exactly. That's why the worst crime committed in these shows are theft, a short time in a single holding cell and they're out on bail, especially with the huge organizations behind em.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:04 am

iwatch2muchanime wrote:They eat human prisoners lol. No death sentence, just food sentence.

Leaf Green is made out of PEOPLE!!!

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:00 am

:lol:

Me and my friends were talking about how for a world full of unsupervised 10 year olds walking around dark forests and deserts, the parents sure aren't worried about perverts and predators.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:51 am

Yay! Pokemon and the philosophy of their world!

Well the gen 1 show showed normal animals here and there, which led to "wait, what?" moments. I don't recall seeing normal animals very often, but I'm sure it's just that no one has thrown a ball at it. But certain Pokedex entries have hinted at eating Pokemon and I recall hearing that Magikarp are kinda crappy Pokemon to eat. But from Bulbapedia, the TV's show dex entry states that: "Farfetch'd, a Wild Duck Pokémon. Farfetch'd makes a delicious meal, especially when cooked with leek. Because of this, Farfetch'd is nearly extinct." so I guess this does imply that Pokemon are eaten in this world, at least some.

But my big question is: is eating a grass type Pokemon count as vegetarian? I mean, they do have faces...and I'd bet some sort of muscles and skeletal system unless they're controlled by water benders. Also, Pokemon eggs....I mean, if they don't have normal chickens, what do they use to make omlettes?

Also, Pokemon can die. After all, there's Lavender Tower, and Gary's Raticate is implied to have died too. So wouldn't it suck if you happened to catch a really old Pokemon and have it expire like a month after you've EV trained it? Lol. But yeah, I mean, Pokemon must be eaten, at least by other Pokemon, and Pokemon must die or else the entire world would be swamped with Pokemon. But if people become Pokemon when they die (Yamask's dex entries: "Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry." and "These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life.") then what do Pokemon become when they die? I don't think they could all become Gastly or the world would be swamped with them instead! Also, you can hatch Ghost Pokemon from eggs....maybe they could then be used for food?

Also, here's a cute comic I saw on Pokememes, lol

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:01 am

Yeah, I've kind of gathered that the Pokémon world is surprisingly "mature" in that they steal somewhat involve death and things like that. There's supposedly a part at the end of... Pokémon Silver? that suggests Giovanni killed himself jumping off a waterfall at the very end. (Spoiler? Haha!)

I never gave much attention to the whole "eating" thing. That's weird to think about. :sweat
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

Return to “Anime”