Random Anime Q&A

Area to discuss all things anime related.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Random Anime Q&A

Postby d.yaro » Sat May 14, 2011 8:24 pm

A thread for those random anime-related questions which pop into your head from time to time. Like this one...

Q: Is there any connection between ChäoS;HEAd and Steins;Gate aside from the semi-colons in the titles? I.e.: Are there any plot, setting, or premise similarities or connections?
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

chrisb

Re: Random Anime Q&A

Postby chrisb » Sun May 15, 2011 5:31 am

From what I read, the games they are based on share the same producer.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Sun May 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Basically that's it. Aside from sharing some staff and coming from the same companies (Nitroplus and 5pb) there is no real connection between the two. The next project is titled Robotics;Notes, it's just the weired naming system they've come up with.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

bashfulglowfly

Postby bashfulglowfly » Fri May 20, 2011 4:16 am

Since this is random stuff...Who would be a good anime character for the saying "Death is lighter than a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain."

Being me, I thought of Sailor Saturn but I'm a bit iffy about her.

I looked up Kambei from Samurai 7 but I'm not sure if he really fits according to the description that I read.

I thought of Alex Rowe from Last Exile as well...he fits.

But I would like some other suggestions if anyone has any.

Thanks.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri May 20, 2011 6:24 am

Char Aznable! He was one prone to spouting such semi-prosaic statements.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Fri May 20, 2011 12:51 pm

First thing that came to mind was Light from Death Note. I suppose Hell Girl wouldn't be so far off either since that really was her "duty".

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

bashfulglowfly

Postby bashfulglowfly » Fri May 20, 2011 4:42 pm

OOH! Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions!

Truered

Postby Truered » Sun May 22, 2011 11:43 pm

Random Q&A?

There is one I've been pondering, but I doubt I can get a proper answer given the demographics of the forum.

Is some of the painful engrish found in anime cringeworthy to Japanese audiences too? :lol: And why does it often seem to be shoehorned for no real reason? Is it seen as cool or something? :P
Image Image Image

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Mon May 23, 2011 12:53 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkKui36s7mQ[/youtube]

I'm pretty sure even the Japanese cringed for Usagi there. And Mako-chan.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Mon May 23, 2011 8:21 am

Truered wrote:Random Q&A?

There is one I've been pondering, but I doubt I can get a proper answer given the demographics of the forum.

Is some of the painful engrish found in anime cringeworthy to Japanese audiences too? :lol: And why does it often seem to be shoehorned for no real reason? Is it seen as cool or something? :P

No idea, but I hope their Japanese acting is better than their English acting. It's so rare to hear a Japanese actor that can do English really well. You can tell they're just reading off a script (or at least it sounds like it), their delivery is so dry and monotone. Even some attempts at singing in English come across a little on the tone deaf side.

However, just like we can't truly tell if their Japanese acting is any good, most Japanese probably can't tell how horrible their English acting is.

BTW, one of the funniest things I've heard recently is Rie Kugimiya trying to say "cock-a-doodle-doo" in the latest episode of Astarotte's Toy. It was such a hard word to say even the characters saying it were smooshing up their faces trying to get it out. The writer is so cruel, surely there's a Japanese equivalent. It's at 15:28 in episode 7 if you're curious.

Emerje

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:17 am

This isn't so much a question as a quick rant.

Dear translators, stop translating English words as something else. If they're using it right then stick with it. "Papa" is not Japanese for "daddy", "bye-bye" is not Japanese for "see ya", and "pinch" isn't Japanese for "trouble". They're English words, leave them alone in your English translation!

While we're at it, stop changing around word orders in paragraphs, especially names. It sounds stupid when a character introduces themselves by first saying what they do followed by their name for dramatic effect, but you have them say their name first and then what they do because the subs don't have their name in them even though they're clearly saying their name then, not earlier where you put it.

Emerje

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:52 am

Emerje wrote:"pinch" isn't Japanese for "trouble".
Actually...it is, I think. It's a borrowed word. It's used as a colloquial word for a "tight spot". "Trouble" is a loose description of "pinch" as used by the Japanese.

I'll throw one at you which left me a bit puzzled (but only for a short while): "tension". The Japanese use "tension" to refer to nervous energy/anticipation but only in a positive slant. More or less. They might say "Tension ga sagatta" ("Tension has gone down") to describe a situation when positive "tension" has decreased.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:00 am

That was kinda my point, all of my examples were borrowed words that mean the exact same thing in English. We use "pinch" the same way in English as they do in Japanese. Pinch, bind, spot, trouble are all synonymous with each other.

So wait, they would consider "high tension" a good thing rather than bad like we do? Well the Japanese do seem to make a big deal out of things being tight, especially in martial arts (belts, headbands, armor and whatnot) so it's probably seen as a sign of strength while relaxing would mean unreadiness.

Emerje

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:10 am

d.yaro wrote:I'll throw one at you which left me a bit puzzled (but only for a short while): "tension".

I know! That's always gotten on my nerves. I'm waiting for someone to say that in a predominantly English setting (or to a foreigner) and let the "tension" rise. Heh, I just wonder why you'd borrow a word and use it to mean the opposite.

@Emerje – I know what you mean, though I'm accepting of things like that if it makes more sense in an English context. Most people (I've known) would never say "bye bye" since that's kinda childish, but "see ya" is more natural as long as that's what the author's going for.

Reminds me of how Tokyopop (and sometimes others) would often leave "-san," "-chan," etc. in the English translation. It almost literally should never be in the English version since it only makes sense in the Japanese language. It's a total distraction in most of the titles I own, especially those that don't take place in Japan (or on Earth) like Aria. I guess all the otakunerds would go apeshit, though.
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

Past

Postby Past » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Except for dubbed anime, I prefer Japanese honorifics not being omitted. It's specifically because the honorifics are unique to the Japanese language that they should get preserved in the tranlation. It's better than completely ignoring them because you sometimes lose some of the nuances that are essential to the story. And it's way better than including them but trying to convert them into an English equivalent like "younger person" whenever someone says -kun. That is just way too awkward.

I think including them allows even new fans to eventually get used to them in English speech, and they are so ubiquitous anyway that many non-anime fans are familiar with them. I'm not saying Japanese honorifics should become common in English usage, it's just with the popularity of anime and manga these days there's no reason to pretend like they don't exist or have no meaning to English speakers.
In Soviet Russia; witches strike you!Image

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:32 am

I'm flexible with honorifics. If it's based in Japan or the characters are Japanese I'd just as well see them left, otherwise I'd rather see them left off. I also don't always think English honorifics are a good substitute since there are so many more Japanese ones. That's a tricky one, it's really a case-by-case issue.

Playing Yakuze 3 reminded me of another annoyance: changing family names to given names in translations. This is a Japanese culture thing and as so I think it should always be left intact when dealing with characters in Japan. Name usage has social implications and it's impossible to to properly translate them. "Mr." is far too formal in English among students while first names may be too informal among the wrong characters even if a "san" is thrown in after them.

OK, I promise to ask a real question now: Do the Japanese wear braces on their teeth? I can't think of any manga/anime/video game character I've ever seen wearing braces. Has it just not penetrated their culture like it has over here? Seems a little strange give all the weired beauty devices they come up with to narrow their noses and tighten their chins or whatever.

Emerje

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Past wrote:It's specifically because the honorifics are unique to the Japanese language that they should get preserved in the tranlation. It's better than completely ignoring them because you sometimes lose some of the nuances that are essential to the story.

That's the beauty of (good) translation – you wouldn't lose anything. I consider a good translation one that translates exactly how it'd be said normally in Japanese to one exactly how it'd be said normally in English. 'Course, I personally am annoyed when honorifics are left because I don't think they flow well in the English language, especially when reading it. It's not like I ignore their existence, though. They're just goofy outside of Japanese.

And it's way better than including them but trying to convert them into an English equivalent like "younger person" whenever someone says -kun. That is just way too awkward.

Ew, I wouldn't ask them to replace honorifics with this. Just... instead of Akira-kun, it'd be Akira.

Emerje wrote:Do the Japanese wear braces on their teeth? I can't think of any manga/anime/video game character I've ever seen wearing braces. Has it just not penetrated their culture like it has over here?

I see an occasional Japanese person wearing them. I assume that it's even more "uncool" to wear them than it is here, even though I think they can look good on people. I've noticed a lot more, particularly idols, that seriously need them 'cause their teeth are all whack. As for anime... I've only seen that Masashi Kishimoto drew this girl for a story he was planning on doing once (but passed up for Naruto), and she had braces. Too bad she doesn't exist.
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Here's a question about Pokémon that I've always had. Why do Pokémon trainers have to tell their Pokémon how to fight? Shouldn't the Pokémon have some sort of natural instinct to tell them what to do, especially those caught in the wild?
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

doug19992000

Postby doug19992000 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Good point. If anything you'd really have to wonder why the ones caught in the wild didn't just run off after they were released from their Pokéball.

bashfulglowfly

Postby bashfulglowfly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:54 pm

For lack of a better place...

I was just watching an episode of Franklin & Bash and they were talking about the Hottest Cartoon Character (female) EVER. The two lead characters brought up Jessica Rabbit and Betty Rubble and "Pinder" one of their assistants said that they were outclassed by Setsuna Meioh - Guardian of the Time Space Door from Sailor Moon!

YES! :lol:

Return to “Anime”